cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore and Recovery

technimdaxviii
Level 5

Hi,

Good day everyone. Just wanna ask something.

We're doing an offsite backup monthly. What are the other requirements to restore the backup from the tape to new hardware and software.

Do I need to include a catalog backup when pulling out tapes?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

J

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Can we assume that you are referring to restore in a DR scenario?

It will be best to have a catalog tape to restore NBU image db (partial recovery should be sufficient).

The other option will be to import all tapes (phase 1 and 2), but that is a lengthy process - at least as long as the backups took. 

Steps to replace and recover a master server in a DR scenario is documented in the Disaster Recovery chapter of NetBackup Troubleshooting Guide.

View solution in original post

quebek
   VIP    Certified

No this is not enough.

Please read the Disaster Recovery chapter from Veritas NetBackup Troubleshooting Guide available in here

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/15179611-130506750-0/v15107410-130506750

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Can we assume that you are referring to restore in a DR scenario?

It will be best to have a catalog tape to restore NBU image db (partial recovery should be sufficient).

The other option will be to import all tapes (phase 1 and 2), but that is a lengthy process - at least as long as the backups took. 

Steps to replace and recover a master server in a DR scenario is documented in the Disaster Recovery chapter of NetBackup Troubleshooting Guide.

Hi Marianne,

Yes, you're correct. I'm referring to this scenario. Because currently, only tape for Oracle are pull out not including the catalog. Thinking how to recover the backup on these tapes without references will not  work. Am I correct?

With Oracle and catalog tapes, is it enough to do a full restore and recovery in a new hardware?

Thank you.

Also, I configure to send the catalog file to the admin (Catalog_Backup_<ctime>_FULL)

Without the catalog backup, is this enought to recover the catalog to the new hardware?

quebek
   VIP    Certified

No this is not enough.

Please read the Disaster Recovery chapter from Veritas NetBackup Troubleshooting Guide available in here

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/15179611-130506750-0/v15107410-130506750

Thank you Quebek!