cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore backup from different netbackup environment without using the 2 phase import process

jguansing
Level 3

We have 2 different netbackup environment. Now the other site sends the tapes that contains the catalog backup, the DR catalog file and other tapes that contains other backups.

They want the contents of the tapes to be readily available for restore from the other site. I've tried doing the 2 phase import process but it's taking time to import all backup images from the other site. Is there a quick way around this using the catlaog backup and DR catalog file? please note the those 2 sites have different master server name and no replication is setup between them.

7 REPLIES 7

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

You only have two options:

a) Import (phase 1 and phase 2).

b) Full catalog DR recovery which will completely overwrite the original catalog.

i.e. there is no normal customer supported way of "merging" a catalog, or portions thereof, from one NetBackup domain to another.

....but there could be a third option...

c) Do you have MSDP?  If yes, then why not configure AIR between the two NetBackup domains, and have the tapes written at both sites?  (whilst quite easy to just implement, this might have some serious implications for "capacity management" and resource usage especially for WAN network bandwidth). 

Yep, i'm doing the 2 phase import but its taking a while to import everything. Is there a possibility of partial catalog recovery between 2 different netbackup domain?

No MSDP option for this site so no replication can be setup.

sdo

Q: Is there a possibility of partial catalog recovery between 2 different netbackup domain?

A: Well, I didn't think it was possible, and I've never done it myself, but @RiaanBadenhorst once had some advice on this type of thing here:

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/Partial-Catalog-Recovery-Process/td-p/660072

sdo

I think @RiaanBadenhorst has given a good outline, but my advice would be...

...do not experiment on your production backup environment.  Build yourself a test lab environment and experiment to develop and create for yourself a detailed procedure that you believe should work for your specific OS and version... before trying it in production.

sdo

@jguansing - it's an interesting question.  I might have time, but no promises, to test and document an example of this for you.  But...

...I need to know:

i) primary master - O/S type and version, and NetBackup version.

ii) secondary master - O/S type and version, and NetBackup version.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I don't have access to documentation right now, so please Google for:
NetBackup Recovery Without Import.
Check that you use the version for NBU 7.5 and later.

sdo

I think @Marianne means this document:

NetBackup catalog recovery without importing tapes
http://www.veritas.com/docs/000026322