cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore changes the modified time

WikiDonor
Level 6

Hello 

I am testing a restore for NAS backups with NBU 7.6.0.4.

Scenario.

Two NAS boxes with one Share folder each.
NBU on Windows Server
The NAS boxes are from different vendors.

I created a policy to backup the contents of NAS share. In the policy, under the clients tab I have specified a Windows server which has access to the NAS share. Under backups selections I have specified a UNC path to that share which contains the files. The backup works fine.

When I try to restore to a redirected location I direct it to a UNC path which is another NAS share and the restore works perfectly fine. The concern is that the modified time for files changes to current data and time on destination NAS box.

Is there a way to keep the modified time same as source location.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

This happens because it is the NAS itself that is writing the file, not NetBackup.   NetBackup is not writing to a file system on a volume.  Instead, in a UNC path based restore then NetBackup Client is merely sending the file via the OS interface to SMB/CIFS, and so it is the SMB server component of the NAS that is doing the file writing.  The end result is the same as having a file copied to the NAS, which updates the file modified time.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

This happens because it is the NAS itself that is writing the file, not NetBackup.   NetBackup is not writing to a file system on a volume.  Instead, in a UNC path based restore then NetBackup Client is merely sending the file via the OS interface to SMB/CIFS, and so it is the SMB server component of the NAS that is doing the file writing.  The end result is the same as having a file copied to the NAS, which updates the file modified time.

WikiDonor
Level 6

Thanks for the reply I think you are correct its remote host must be modifying the date.