cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore data from an NDMP backup to a different NAS device

spasq
Level 3
I am basically looking to see if this is possible or not. We used to have a EMC Celerra and I am trying to restore a file from that platform to our new NAS device (Isilon). Our Celerra no longer exists and all data on it was migrated to our Isilon cluster. The file that I need to restore was not on the Celerra at the time of migration. We are looking to restore this from tape to Isilon. Does anyone know if this is possible? Everything I have read indicated that NDMP backups need to be restore to the original location. Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Restore to same NAS platform only.
Extract from NDMP Admin Guide:
Note: The destination host must be an NDMP host compatible with the data format of the source. (The source and destination must be of the same NAS vendor type.)

lu
Level 6
Yes the Data format of NDMP backups is different between vendors, so you can try, but it will likely fail...

spasq
Level 3
Support directed me to a Celerra Simulator from EMC. I have installed it and created an environment to try to restore to. I am running into some issues with adding the new NDMP Host to netbackup but in theory this should work since I would be restoring Celerra to "Celerra"