Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore data from tape with no barcode from a different media server

keithdc
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I'm in a bit of a pickle.

We retired a media server along with the robot and all the tapes were moved to another site, none of the tapes had barcodes as the drive was standalone with no barcode reader.  Note that when the old media server was retired, the tapes were moved to another media server with the following command (I can browse the data in BAR GUI fine) as part of the decomission process.

bpmedia  -movedb  -allvolumes   -oldserver   <decommisioned_media_server>   -newserver <media_server_inheriting_media>

Some of the tapes have unexpired images on them, and I need to restore some data from one of them.

When the tape was loaded into the robot and inventoried, it was allocated a new Media ID & I'm stuck trying to figure out how to tell NetBackup that the tape is already known and has unexpired images. (i.e. the newly allocated Media ID is A00028 and the old one is E00004)

The preferred solution would be to tell NetBackup that A00028 is in fact E00004 (I have changed the Media Type) and restore the data with no import neccessary as it has not expired so is still in the catalog.

-------

I am prepared to import the tape if I have to, however NetBackup does know that the tape should be E00004 as in the import job it shows the following

6/11/2013 2:12:05 PM - Error bptm(pid=9284) Media mounted has media id of E00004, but A00028 was requested.  Must add E00004 to Media Manager volume database and retry.
6/11/2013 2:12:07 PM - Info bptm(pid=9284) EXITING with status 176 <----------       
6/11/2013 2:12:07 PM - Error bpimport(pid=15608) Status = cannot perform specified media import operation.    
6/11/2013 2:12:07 PM - end Import; elapsed time: 00:01:19
cannot perform specified media import operation(176)

------

If someone could help provide a solution so we can restore the data from this tape we would really appreciate it.

Many thanks

Keith

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Since media is already in the robot, make a note of the slot number for A00028.

Delete A00028.
Right-click on
 E00004, Move.
Select robot, volume group and slot number.

In future, use vmphyinv to inventory non-barcoded media. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

In stead of  Robot Inve ntry, use vmphyinv command to unlabeled tapes. This mounts tapes, reads media header, and register media with media ID recorded in media header.

Once delete media with newly assigned media ID, then run "vmphyinv -h <master_server>  -rh <robot_control_Host> -rn <robot#> -slot_range <from> <to> -d <density>".

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Since media is already in the robot, make a note of the slot number for A00028.

Delete A00028.
Right-click on
 E00004, Move.
Select robot, volume group and slot number.

In future, use vmphyinv to inventory non-barcoded media. 

keithdc
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thank you both for the replies, I honestly never even found that comand during my investigation.  I was toying with vmchange but it's either incorrect or I had some of the syntax wrong.  Something like this

(Change volume residence)
  vmchange [-h <EMM_server> | <volume_database_host>]
           -res -m <media_id> -mt <media_type> -rt <robot_type>
           -rn <robot_number> -rh <robot_control_host> -v <volume_group>
           -rc1 <robot_coord1> [-rc2 <robot_coord2>]

At any rate, I have used the solution provided by Marianne and it is working like a charm.

Thanks again

Keith