cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore error "Pipe Close Failed". Please help :-(

jonnyguitar
Level 4

Hi all.  I have a "pipe close failed" error during a restore and I'd be so grateful if you could help please.  

I am using 3 servers, all running Windows Server 2008 and Netbackup 7.1

The servers are:

• Master Server
  • Media Server (physically connected to a Dell ML6000 library)
  • File Server (where I am running the client).

I am running the restore from the Backup, Archive and Restore GUI on the Master Server, doing a right-click and run-as administrator.  I am also a domain admin.  

I can go file>specify NetBackup Machines and Policy Type, and then check the server names against the exact ones listed in the catalog.  I then click "Select for restore" and after 10 seconds or so, I get the message "ERROR: pipe close failed".

There are no comms errors.  Each machine can ping each other machine.

I have logging turned on but I cannot paste the info here I'm afraid.   What sort of thing should I be looking for and in what log?  I am also restricted from uploading screen shots.

Any advice would be fab.  Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

First check basics:

The 'server to use for backup and restore' must ALWAYS be the master serve

source client must be the client for which you want to restore data.

Destination: same or other client.

Policy type: the policy type as per the backup policy that performed the backup.

If above all are right then make sure the client name is exactly same the way it gets backed up, if it is FQDN or hostname it should be added the same way here as well. I have seen it before if it is not matching exactly the same way.

Try using nslookup and make sure it resolves the name properly.

Make sure no firewall which might block anything.

What about restoring it from the Master or Media server?

jonnyguitar
Level 4

Thanks.   I've gone through the checks but nothing is the cause.

What about restoring it from the Master or Media server?

How do you mean?

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

go to the activity monitor and click on the restore job then on the detailed status tab, what do the contents say? can you paste them here?

sksujeet
Level 6

Can you post the same screenshot from your environment. Also provide the name of your master server and the client name from the host properties. This error comes when you are selecting the wrong master server in "server to use for backup and restore"

jonnyguitar
Level 4

go to the activity monitor and click on the restore job then on the detailed status tab, what do the contents say? can you paste them here?

The restore job never starts - I don't even get as far to select the files for restore, as the error appears before that.

jonnyguitar
Level 4

Can you post the same screenshot from your environment. Also provide the name of your master server and the client name from the host properties. This error comes when you are selecting the wrong master server in "server to use for backup and restore"

Unfortunately I cannot post server names as they are confidential.  I've double-checked the server names are correct.  

sksujeet
Level 6

I am afraid there is nothing much we can do without seeing things, have you tried running the restore from client itself ?

Have you tried restoring some other clients or just selecting the options for other client?

have you tried nslookup for your master server, client using hostname, fqdn and ip address. Does it resolve all of it?

What kind of data you are restoring? files or database?

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You say "I've double-checked the server names are correct.  "
Server names? There can only be one - the Master.

I have personally experienced 'strange' errors on W2008 servers with UAC enabled - especially with restores and reports.
Closing the GUI and re-opening it with right-click, Run as Administrator fixed it for me.

Log that you need to look at if errors persist is bprd. 
There should be initial bprd connection request:

logconnections: BPRD ACCEPT FROM <Master-IP>.44121 TO <Master-IP>.13720 fd = 9

Scroll down from there and look for connection to bpdbm.
Look for:
<8>  
<16>
<32>

Difficult to guide you blindly... 
If possible, mask hostnames and IP addresses (as I've done above) and attach bprd log as File attachment.

jonnyguitar
Level 4

This is great. Thanks for your help everyone.  In the end I got it working with a reinstall.