cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore expired images from disk (DataDomain)

Toddman214
Level 6

Windows 2008r2 Master and Media server running Netbackup 7.6.0.4

Hello all.

I made a bit of a rookie mistake today. I was running low on DataDomain storage, so I was running some manual cleanup, and accidentally expired an image that I really need to get back. My question is, shouldnt the phase 1 and 2 import process in Netbackup essientially be the same as you would perform from tape media, but instead of selecting a tape ID, you point to your disk storage unit? As soon as I realized what I had done, I disabled cleaning on the device, to stop it from starting, and possibly clearing the expired image. Doing a search online, I see a LOT of image imports for tape media, but I didnt see anything for disk. I have tried, and the phase 1 process ran for 6 hours, and completed. Then, when I go to run phase 2, I get the "no images are ready for phase 2 import" message. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.

Todd

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I am afraid its not possible to import the image.

Once you delete a image residing on disk, Netbackup will delete the image immediately. Now the space used by the image will only be reused one the data domain after a clean has run, but the file itself is deleted from the data domain file system. Same apply for advanced disk, basic disk and MSDP.

Best senario for import is tape, where data it not deleted, but meta data removed from Netbackup catalog.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Disk images can be imported but no idea if it is possible to import OST images. Your next problem is the DD. Even though you have stopped image cleanup, these images are marked for deletion. How would you undo or stop this process?

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I found this post where someone else has tried this : https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/importing-images-emc-data-domain-fails

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I am afraid its not possible to import the image.

Once you delete a image residing on disk, Netbackup will delete the image immediately. Now the space used by the image will only be reused one the data domain after a clean has run, but the file itself is deleted from the data domain file system. Same apply for advanced disk, basic disk and MSDP.

Best senario for import is tape, where data it not deleted, but meta data removed from Netbackup catalog.

mnolan
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Once you expire an image on DataDomain, during the image cleanup process we have the DataDomain mark the image as garbage. Then, on its own internal schedule, the DataDomain goes through and does a garbage cleanup.  Running an import imeaditely should recover the images.

Toddman214
Level 6

Looks like you all are spot-on, and that data is gone. The phase 2 import did reveal some data, but nothing anywhere near that date range of this data that was expired.