cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore files where were located on a decommissioned Window server

nbmagic
Level 4

If a Window server has already been decommissioned, then when in the need to restore files(excel format), am I able to restore them to any Window servers? I heard that I can only restore to a host with the same host name, not sure of why ..

Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Your information is incorrect. File-level restore initiated on master server can be restored to any other client of same OS family. In restore setup screen, select decommissioned client as Source client and another client as Destination client.

Vamika
Level 3

I agree with Marianne. For file level restore, you can restore any file/folder from the decommissioned client (taking it as source) to any other server.

The same host name constraint is there when you are performing system restore.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
A NetBackup Master Server should always be able to "push" restore compatible OS clients. If you want new clientB to be able to perform a "pull" restore from backups previously saved from now decommissioned clientA then you would need an "altnames" entry on the master server.

nbmagic
Level 4

sdo,

As others pointed out I can restore files to a different client from a decommissioned client.

Now, you are saying I can pull the restore from the new client, but would need an "latnames" in Master? Could you please explore it more? Which file I need to make such change? If I put a "altnames" for the decommissioned client, then how would you make sure the change have no impact on the new client?

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Best to start redirected restore from the master.

To initiate redirected restore from the destination client, see:

How to redirect restore data backed up from source Netbackup Windows Client to alternate Netbackup Windows Client.
http://www.veritas.com/docs/000012268