cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore from media with unnown contents..

SYSBER
Level 3

Hi,

I have a small? problem. One of our customers have used NetBackup for several years, backing up some OpenVMS servers. From 2009 and onwards they have the backups "in control", but as they in 2009 started using a new backup robot with different tape media, the older backup "index" database was somehow lost. 

They now have about 330 SuperDLT I tapes with unknown content, and they want to catalogue the data on theese tapes.

What we would like to do is the following.

1. Read all tapes and list contents. I think we have a tape station that can handle this kind of tapes and a OpenVMS node with NetBackup client software       installed.

2. Depending on whats on the tape keep it or send it for destruction.

Can someone give me some hints of what I need, and how to do this reading of the old tapes? Any help would be appreciated.

Best Regards,

Björn Rydén

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You need tape drives connected to a media server that can read the tapes (so connected to a client won;t help, unless you install the client as a media server.

Then, simply import the tapes, as per this TN

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH72429

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You need tape drives connected to a media server that can read the tapes (so connected to a client won;t help, unless you install the client as a media server.

Then, simply import the tapes, as per this TN

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH72429

jim_dalton
Level 6

and there is no openvms media server (at least not 7. not looked any further). This shouldnt matter, you just need a media server with that drive configured. sdlt is supported according to hcl.

This means you need a master server in the picture somewhere to control said media server.

Should be good to go !

Jim

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

.... but as they in 2009 started using a new backup robot with different tape media, the older backup "index" database was somehow lost. ....

Just so that you know - the 'backup index' is stored in the Master server image database in line with retention levels in Policy schedules - not on tape.