cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore from netbackup to EMC via NDMP

netbackupnube
Level 2

Hi I am after some pointers with my netbackup 7.7 restore problem.

I have group of netbackup tapes that I have imported from a previous system many years ago.  They are of a netbackup that was taken from a an EMC Celerra NAS via NDMP.  With the tapes freshly now imported to netbackup I can browse the backup sets and see what I need to restore without issue.  Because many years have passed I do not have an EMC device anymore but am using a simulator to restore to.  I have setup NDMP on it and I can confirm netbackup will happly backup and restore from it as a test however I can not get the other backups from the imported tapes to restore to it.  I have gone down the road of doing a restore to an alternative device and then specified the alternative path in the restore window. When I run the restore it happly reads the tape but fails with the error   "emc_rd  i18n archive not supported (0)".

The one thing I did note was that when I look at the backup images in the restore windows I see that my test ndmp backups are shown as "NDMP" image format where as the imported tape images are shown as "backup" image format. I am not sure that this is the issue.

Any pointers someone can offer would be greatly apppreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

NDMP dump format is device-dependent. Therefore depending on the type of the NDMP device you may or may not be able to restore to the newer generation of EMC device. Even within EMC device family there are multiple NDMP sources such as Celerra (VNX, etc), Isilon and others.

You really need either a device compatible with the source system or it's full emulator (the latter won't be formally supported by NBU but should work). 

Giving us a hint what was the model of the source device and which emulator do you use could help

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Mouse

NDMP dump format is device-dependent. Therefore depending on the type of the NDMP device you may or may not be able to restore to the newer generation of EMC device. Even within EMC device family there are multiple NDMP sources such as Celerra (VNX, etc), Isilon and others.

You really need either a device compatible with the source system or it's full emulator (the latter won't be formally supported by NBU but should work). 

Giving us a hint what was the model of the source device and which emulator do you use could help

Mouse

And one more thing. In EMC world, there is a compatibility matrix for NDMP devices and usually restores for DART OS are supported one version back, i.e. 6.x backups could be restored to 7.x but may not work with 8.x, the latter is almost guaranteed to happen due to switch to 64-bit FS but check it with EMC, be ready to provide both source and target DART OS versions (assuming the source was a Celerra or VNX)

Mouse you are a legend. :)

Once I managed to find the OS level that was used for the original backup and create a simulator of that model, it worked like a charm.

Thanks very much for your help.

Mouse

no worries at all mate