cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore from tape

snawaz3
Level 6

It has been over 10 months since I have used NetBackUp. I am out of touch with the trouble shooting process.Our old file servers from which the backups were created have been decommissioned. I need to restore a folder from a backup tape. I have the backup tapes I added them to the library and did an inventory. I then started Backup, Archieve and Restore. From FILE>SPECIFY NETBACKUP MACHINE AND POLICY TYPE I selected the following as per FIG 1. I started the restore with these settings in FIG 2. I get the following as per FIG 3.

I need immediate help as the tapes are due to expire after 5 hours.

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

ontherocks
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If your medias are going to expire soon, first of all extend the expiry date to some future date/time, in the meanwhile you can troubleshoot the issue.

bpexpdate: -m <media id> -d <mm/dd/yyyy HH:MM:SS>

View solution in original post

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

The object/item/field/attribute which has a value of '12' is an index number which refers to the index number within the list of retention levels at the time the backup was taken.

After a backup has been completed (and/or SLP processing is complete) the 'retention level index number' has very little at all to do with the 'expiration date' of a backup image - I'll stop there on this topic - let me know if you're interested in more info...

Anyway, you needed concentrate on the 'expiration' date/time of the backup images, and you've done that.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Seems this restore is not too urgent?

Replies to attempts to help stopped on 3 April....

I have downloaded the Word docs today (.jpg files are easier to open since they don't need to be downloaded first).

So, the 1st screenshots says that you want to restore the files to the master server, right?

Have you checked that there is sufficient space in C-drive and that the user you have used to login has write permissions in Restore folder?
If UAC is enabled, have you opened the GUI with right-click, run as Administrator?

To troubleshoot restore failure, you will need the following log folders under ...\netbackup\logs:

On master: bprd (Restart NBU after log folder is created).

On media server (master server in your case): bpbrm and bptm

On destination client (master server in your case): tar

After next failure, copy log files to .txt files (e.g. bprd.txt) and upload as File attachments.

sdo

Thanks for the update.

1) I have a query. if encryption is setup then how would one be able to restore the file

A: By re-implementing the same type of encryption that was originally used, and using the same keys (or pass phrases).  If you do not have the keys (or the pass phrases used to generate the keys) then you will never (ever!) be able to restore from the encrypted media.  There are no known workarounds for this.

2) and also how would one decrypt it.

A: it should automatically decrypt as it is being read, as long as encryption is re-implemeted and/or re-configured correctly.

3) If the file is restored to the source computer would it still matter if encryption is in place?

A) Yes and no.  Yes, if you ever wanted t read the tape again on another NetBackup domain (e.g DR situation).  No, because as a function of restore the data arives at the target in an un-encrypted form.

Apologies, but it's a bit difficult to me more specific without knowing what 'form' the encryption took - i.e. NetBackup KMS, MSEO, or perhaps vendor hardware encryption?

Personally, I don't like the idea of being surprised to find an encrypted media when attempting a production restore.  Perhaps a question to ask yourselves (before revealing to management the extent of the problem), is just how many of your tapes are encrypted that you don't know about?

You should easily be able to quantify the extent of the situation/issue/problem - using the GUI 'Catalog' function - or from a bpimagelist listing - columns (in the GUI) or fields (in the listing) - indicating whether any given backup image is encrypted or not.

14 REPLIES 14

snawaz3
Level 6

Marianne
Level 6
It is long weekend. I only use Connect on mobile phone over weekends. Would like to help but I cannot open .docx files. Can you not post screenshots as .jpg files?

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

TECH18649 talks about the error your getting, socket write failed wich should be a status 24 error.

As the doc sugests, please review the bptm log for further errors

ontherocks
Level 6

If your medias are going to expire soon, first of all extend the expiry date to some future date/time, in the meanwhile you can troubleshoot the issue.

bpexpdate: -m <media id> -d <mm/dd/yyyy HH:MM:SS>

ontherocks
Level 6

Check below technote as well ::

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH150369&profileURL=https%3A%2F%2Fsymaccount-profile.symantec.com%2FSSO%2Findex.jsp%3FssoID%3D14280781934449x0m4Sm3oFxRYj2O288e1b787Ru3mWsI9RA15

snawaz3
Level 6

@ONTHEROCKS

Thanks for the info. I was able to change the expiration date to 2016. What is the retention period [currently set at 12] and will it effect anything? I know it is too close to call but was in a meeting and just got out.

sdo

Are you still getting error 24?

Have you tried any other remedial actions?

Have you tried again recently?

sdo

The object/item/field/attribute which has a value of '12' is an index number which refers to the index number within the list of retention levels at the time the backup was taken.

After a backup has been completed (and/or SLP processing is complete) the 'retention level index number' has very little at all to do with the 'expiration date' of a backup image - I'll stop there on this topic - let me know if you're interested in more info...

Anyway, you needed concentrate on the 'expiration' date/time of the backup images, and you've done that.

sdo

Can nbumgt001 restore anything from one of it's own recent backups of itself to itself?

Marianne
Level 6

Seems this restore is not too urgent?

Replies to attempts to help stopped on 3 April....

I have downloaded the Word docs today (.jpg files are easier to open since they don't need to be downloaded first).

So, the 1st screenshots says that you want to restore the files to the master server, right?

Have you checked that there is sufficient space in C-drive and that the user you have used to login has write permissions in Restore folder?
If UAC is enabled, have you opened the GUI with right-click, run as Administrator?

To troubleshoot restore failure, you will need the following log folders under ...\netbackup\logs:

On master: bprd (Restart NBU after log folder is created).

On media server (master server in your case): bpbrm and bptm

On destination client (master server in your case): tar

After next failure, copy log files to .txt files (e.g. bprd.txt) and upload as File attachments.

snawaz3
Level 6

I am sorry to all for the delay in replying. The matter was urgent so I opened a support call. After a whole day of the tech support trouble shooting and escalating the ticket, they discovered that encryption was enabled on that tape. I have no idea how that happened. It might have been a test done at some time. But anyway the good news is that i was able to restore from another date to the management/media center machine. 

I have a query. if encryption is setup then how would one be able to restore the file and also how would one decrypt it. If the file is restored to the source computer would it still matter if encryption is in place? 

But thanks to all for your immediate response. Guess I just panicked.

sdo

Thanks for the update.

1) I have a query. if encryption is setup then how would one be able to restore the file

A: By re-implementing the same type of encryption that was originally used, and using the same keys (or pass phrases).  If you do not have the keys (or the pass phrases used to generate the keys) then you will never (ever!) be able to restore from the encrypted media.  There are no known workarounds for this.

2) and also how would one decrypt it.

A: it should automatically decrypt as it is being read, as long as encryption is re-implemeted and/or re-configured correctly.

3) If the file is restored to the source computer would it still matter if encryption is in place?

A) Yes and no.  Yes, if you ever wanted t read the tape again on another NetBackup domain (e.g DR situation).  No, because as a function of restore the data arives at the target in an un-encrypted form.

Apologies, but it's a bit difficult to me more specific without knowing what 'form' the encryption took - i.e. NetBackup KMS, MSEO, or perhaps vendor hardware encryption?

Personally, I don't like the idea of being surprised to find an encrypted media when attempting a production restore.  Perhaps a question to ask yourselves (before revealing to management the extent of the problem), is just how many of your tapes are encrypted that you don't know about?

You should easily be able to quantify the extent of the situation/issue/problem - using the GUI 'Catalog' function - or from a bpimagelist listing - columns (in the GUI) or fields (in the listing) - indicating whether any given backup image is encrypted or not.

snawaz3
Level 6

Thank you all for your feedback and help. The Symantec Community is great.

Moved:

Marianne
Level 6