cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore individual files and folders from a VM with XFS filesystem

Intore
Level 4
Hi all. Sometime ago we opened a case in veritas because we were not be able to restore an individual file from a Linux VM with XFS as filesystem type, backed up with a policy type VMware and the support told us that this feature can be available with the netbackup version 8.1.2. We just upgraded the master server to 8.1.2 but still not the media server. Now I need to restore an individual file from a Redhat VM with XFS that is backed by using a media server with 8.1.1. My question Is: If we upgrade this media server to 8.1.2 can I perform this individual file restore immediatly or the VM must be backed up at least one time with the media server upgraded? Thank you. Intore
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Lowell_Palecek
Level 6
Employee

The distinction you make between the master server and media server isn't quite right. What matters is the backup host, which can be the master server, a media server, or another computer. The backup must be performed with a backup host that's at NetBackup 8.1.2. We need the disk mapping that occurs during backup.

We recently found a problem with large volumes and XFS file systems. If the volume is more than around half a terabyte, the inode values for some directories and files may exceed the largest 32-bit signed integer (2147483647). NetBackup 8.1.2 cannot process such "64-bit" indexes. They will be supported in NetBackup 8.2. This discovery is so recent that I don't think we have a TechNote on it yet. I'll create one this week.

You can check whether this applies to your VM by running "ls -li" on the directories of any large XFS volume you may have. The first column of the output is the inode value. SFR will not work until 8.2 on any directory or its subdirectories where the index is 2147483648 or greater.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Lowell_Palecek
Level 6
Employee

The distinction you make between the master server and media server isn't quite right. What matters is the backup host, which can be the master server, a media server, or another computer. The backup must be performed with a backup host that's at NetBackup 8.1.2. We need the disk mapping that occurs during backup.

We recently found a problem with large volumes and XFS file systems. If the volume is more than around half a terabyte, the inode values for some directories and files may exceed the largest 32-bit signed integer (2147483647). NetBackup 8.1.2 cannot process such "64-bit" indexes. They will be supported in NetBackup 8.2. This discovery is so recent that I don't think we have a TechNote on it yet. I'll create one this week.

You can check whether this applies to your VM by running "ls -li" on the directories of any large XFS volume you may have. The first column of the output is the inode value. SFR will not work until 8.2 on any directory or its subdirectories where the index is 2147483648 or greater.