cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore individual tlog

krishnak1
Level 3

When I try to select the last transaction log backup, Netbackup provides the syntax to restore the original full backup and then to the subsequent t-log which I select.

Example below.

OPERATION RESTORE

OBJECTTYPE DATABASE

DATABASE "kkveritas"

# The following image is type: Full

NBIMAGE "Perf-win-2012.MSSQL7.PERF-WIN-2012.db.kkveritas.~.7.001of001.20171213104959..C"

SQLHOST "Perf-win-2012"

NBSERVER "NBU-MASTER"

BROWSECLIENT "172.16.98.27"

MAXTRANSFERSIZE 6

BLOCKSIZE 7

RESTOREOPTION REPLACE

RECOVEREDSTATE NOTRECOVERED

SQLCOMPRESSION TRUE

NUMBUFS 2

ENDOPER TRUE

OPERATION RESTORE

OBJECTTYPE TRXLOG

DATABASE "kkveritas"

# The following image is type: transaction log

NBIMAGE "Perf-win-2012.MSSQL7.PERF-WIN-2012.trx.kkveritas.~.7.001of001.20171213105441..C"

SQLHOST "Perf-win-2012"

NBSERVER "NBU-MASTER"

MAXTRANSFERSIZE 6

BLOCKSIZE 7

RESTOREOPTION REPLACE

RECOVEREDSTATE NOTRECOVERED

SQLCOMPRESSION TRUE

NUMBUFS 2

ENDOPER TRUE

OPERATION RESTORE

OBJECTTYPE TRXLOG

DATABASE "kkveritas"

# The following image is type: transaction log

NBIMAGE "Perf-win-2012.MSSQL7.PERF-WIN-2012.trx.kkveritas.~.7.001of001.20171213105827..C"

SQLHOST "Perf-win-2012"

NBSERVER "NBU-MASTER"

MAXTRANSFERSIZE 6

BLOCKSIZE 7

RESTOREOPTION REPLACE

RECOVEREDSTATE RECOVERED

SQLCOMPRESSION TRUE

NUMBUFS 2

ENDOPER TRUE

Do we have any option to restore only the last transactional log backup without the full.

4 REPLIES 4

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

did you try to leave only last batch in the restore script? But rememeber you must have the database in Restoring state and at the end of previous tlog recovering, otherwise such restore is useless.

Regards

Michal

Hi Michal,

I didn't try leaving only the last batch in the restore script. When I try selecting the last t-log backup for restore, it provides the above complete script which restores the full, subsequent t-log backups until the one I selected.

The goal is to have the database in continuous restoring state so that I want to apply only the t-log backup everytime on top of the restoring database.

Do you think if I try only the last batch on the restoring database, will it work?

Regards

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

So there is a reason why not implement Log Shipping?

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/SQL-Server-T-log-backup-restore-process/m-p/843995#M231809

Netbackup is overcomplicated tool for this purpose, however it should work - BTW I think that testing this by yourself is quicker than waiting for my answer...

regards

Michal

Log shipping may not be an option for this Michal. 

We are looking for a way to just use netbackups only and not burden SQL Instance.

I will try to test this and keep you posted. As always appreciate your inputs. Really helpful.