cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore is Failing with error code allocation failed (10)

Kisad
Level 5

Hi Friends,

I'm trying to restore a file from Server A to Server B. However the restore is failing with error allocation failed (10). Both clients can ping back and forth themselves.Communication is also good between the two clients and the NBU master and Media server. I also checked nbemmcmd -listshosts, both my master and media server show up in it..Please help.

Restore Logs

-------------------

11/30/2010 05:11:41 - begin Restore

11/30/2010 05:11:42 - restoring from image ServerA_1291114348
11/30/2010 05:11:43 - requesting resource @aaaaw
11/30/2010 05:11:45 - Warning bprd (pid=17052) Restore must be resumed prior to first image expiration on INFINITY      
11/30/2010 05:11:45 - end Restore; elapsed time 0:00:04
11/30/2010 05:11:44 - Error nbjm (pid=3238) NBU status: 800, EMM status: Media server is not defined in EMM
11/30/2010 05:11:44 - Error nbjm (pid=3238) NBU status: 800, EMM status: Media server is not defined in EMM
allocation failed (10)

NBU Version :NetBackup 6.5.5

OS Version: Solaris10

Thanks 

Kisad

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

"allocation failed (10)", but this is the closest I could find with regards to that and "Media server is not defined in EMM":

Unable to perform restores from an Advanced Disk disk pool - allocation failed(10)
http://test-inquira.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH77269

"...

Problem

Unable to perform restores from an Advanced Disk disk pool - allocation failed(10)

Error

Error nbjm(pid=7944) NBU status: 800, EMM status: Media server is not defined in EMM
allocation failed(10)

Solution

SOLUTION:

The above error can be seen when attempting to perform restores from an Advanced Disk disk pool, even thought Backups and duplications run successfully.  This can occur when FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER is being used to specify an alternate restore media server.  To resolve the issue and allow restores to be performed, remove the FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER entry from the master server's bp.conf file, or in the Administration Console, remove the Media Host Override entry under the master server host properties -> General Server.
..."

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Please find section in bprd log on master server that deals with the restore request. We need to see how image ownership is evaluated. This section will contain the name of the media server that NBU chose for the restore.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

"allocation failed (10)", but this is the closest I could find with regards to that and "Media server is not defined in EMM":

http://test-inquira.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH77269

"...

Problem

Error

Error nbjm(pid=7944) NBU status: 800, EMM status: Media server is not defined in EMM
allocation failed(10)

Solution

SOLUTION:

The above error can be seen when attempting to perform restores from an Advanced Disk disk pool, even thought Backups and duplications run successfully.  This can occur when FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER is being used to specify an alternate restore media server.  To resolve the issue and allow restores to be performed, remove the FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER entry from the master server's bp.conf file, or in the Administration Console, remove the Media Host Override entry under the master server host properties -> General Server.
..."

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

That is exactly what I'm hoping to find in bprd log - reference to original media server and FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER...

Kisad
Level 5

It was my mistake, I figured it out. During the weekend ,I had made an entry of FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER  in the bp.conf to redirect media server restores via the master.I had completely forgotten it today, in heat of the sev2 call :). I commented the entry in the bp.conf and the restore completed fine.

I wish i could mark both the posts as solution. Have marked Andy's post as the solution.Marianne Thanks to you too.

Thanks

Kisad