cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore older Exchange without older Domain Controller

Jevon
Level 4

Hello,

I have been asked to restore an older (2+ years) version of Exchange (2010, DAG) but we don't have backups of the domain controllers during this period.  Is there a way to restore the database to recover a mailbox using a 2nd standalone test domain?  In otherwords, are my backup sets of Exchange need to include the domain controllers?

5 REPLIES 5

IonutP
Level 4

I've encounter your issue many times and the simple solution that I have found is to install Dell Recovery Manager for Exchange on a new server (it will emulate your exchange environment - standalone or dag) - restore to that server and extract whatever you need.

I have not used this product, nor am I an Exchange Admin.  Is this relatively straight-forward?

Lowell_Palecek
Level 6
Employee

I think you are making it too hard. You can redirect the restore of a database from a DAG onto a database on a standalone Exchange server.

Just to be clear, "standalone" as in, an Exchange server that isn't on a domain?  That would work for me.

By standalone, I mean an Exchange server that is not part of a DAG.

Search the NetBackup for Exchange admin guide for "redirect." Make sure the Exchange version on the target server for restore is the same as the original backup. As discussed in a different thread this week, it should be ok for the SP or CU number to be newer than the original, but don't try to restore your Exchange 2010 backup to an Exchange 2013 or 2016 server.