cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore on another server

amolkop
Level 3

I want to restore tape backed up on one server to another.

Scenario:

I have one netbackup server. (Server_A). This server is having Tape library with two LTO-3 drives.

I have taken a full backup on LTO-3 tape.

I have installed a fresh netbackup software on another server. (Server_B) This server has one standalone LTO-3 drive connected to it.

Now I want to restore tape on Server_A to Server_B.

Any steps to serve this purpose will be appriciated..

8 REPLIES 8

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You need to IMPORT the tape(s) on Server_B.

Phase 1 of the import process (Initiate import) is relatively quick and just scans the tape an builds the image header list.

Using this info, you can then select all or just some images for phase 2 import (Import).
This is a lengthy process that will scan the tape for file names and update the image catalog with this info. The process takes at least as long as the backup.

Detailed instructions that will work for newer NBU versions as well:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH72429

***EDIT***

Windows TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH43584

Will_Restore
Level 6

Any luck with this?  Please update/close this thread, along with your others.

Genericus
   VIP   

Are these different media servers in the same netbackup environment or are they two separate catalogs?

if this is a new media server within the same environment, simply changing the ownership of the tapes will set them to restore using the new media server.

If this is a separate environment, like DR, which means a separate catalog, then the import process Marianne mentions is your best bet.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

Amarnath_Sathis
Level 5

Hi Amol,

Master Server: Zeus

Media Servers: Server_A & Server_B.

Below command has to be executed on Server_A.

Moves the media catalog entry for media ID 4637L4 from Server_A to Server_B and updates the NetBackup image catalog:

Command: bpmedia -movedb -m 4637L4 -newserver Server_A -oldserver Server_B

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Two DIFFERENT master servers...

bpmedia will work if the 2 servers are in the same NBU domain/master.

Sagar_Kolhe
Level 6

if both servers are in different location ( master  servers are dfifferent) , kindly duplicate the media of backup server A and then send it to another location and then import.

after importing the data (phase 1 and phase2 ) , you can restore the same on server B.

after importing the data , change the media ownership to server B and start the restoration.

Amarnath_Sathis
Level 5

Hi Sagar,

I agree your way for Importing the media incase of 2 different master servers for restoration.

yes

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Thread opened by amolkop on 3rd January so nearly 3 months old now - 7 replies but nothing ever back from amolkop - another user who opens a thread then dissapears!