cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore question

bc1410
Level 5

Hello -

Netbackup 8.1.1 Linux Environemnt.   One server as MASTER/Media.  2 libraries consisting of 10 LT07 drives

We have multple archival Volume Pools (one for each client)...  So I had a request from a client that all of a sudden they want data deleted from the archival tapes..  So these archival tapes had retention set to infinity...  So they arent expireing anytime soon...  So with this information they want the tapes destroyed that contained any data from the year 2009 to 2015.... This NBU volume pool for this client only consist of 11 tapes total..  Its possible that some of the tapes have data for example for the year 2016/2017 on a tape that has 2014 data on it..  So I cant just destroy a tape..  Trying to figure out my best options..  When things were archived back in the day the source client was not the same each time...  We have a master tracking sheet of all archivals for this customer and what data path was archived from what source client and the date it was archived etc...

I know there is no NBU funtion to just Restore/dump everything that is on a tape...  Well not that I know of..  If I could do that I would just find some disk space and restore/dump the data to disk and delete what they wanted and rearchive the data after the certain date... Then destroy the tape etc...  

any suggestions or thoughts...  

I also thought that I could maybe search by MediaId within the NBU gui under the Catalog and then duplicate the images off of tape that we want to keep to another new tape and then just have the tapes destroyed... 

Is there a way to see what a catalog image / backup ID consist off..  I guess another words how do I know I have the correct data. (example:  is backup ID XXXX-1_1248230005 the actual data that was archived from \data\archive\junkfiles\day1\year2010  ).

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Personally I would start with the 11 tapes because this is a known defined set, because everything else you cannot be sure about just yet.

1) list all of the backup images that are on those 11 tapes - use: bpimmedia

2) list the top one or two folder levels each backup image - use: bplist

3) carefully review and decide which images to keep and which to expire

4) expire the images that you must not keep - use: bpexpdate -backupid blah_ctime

5) duplicate the remaining images to new a pool name - use: bpduplicate -Bidfile keep.txt

6) expire the 11 media from the old pool name (they may return to scratch - in which case then also move them to a temporary pool) - use: bpexpdate -mediad, and vmchange

7) long erase the original 11 media - use: bplabel

HTH.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

for the bplist command

unfortunately it is not possible to pass backup image ID, and so you will have to convert the image ctime to a datetime or cheat by calling bpimagelist idonly and get NetBackup to give you the backup image date time

and then you can do something like this :

bplist -s !z_bplist_date! !z_bplist_time! -e !z_bplist_date! !z_bplist_time! -C !z_client! -t !z_policy_type_number! -PI -R 2 -nt_files *

...do you see why you need an exact date time, because to be sure that you listing from one backup image only, you need to specify the exact same time (to the second) for the start and end times - and this guarantees that you are looking at just one backup image for that client...

...and also note that you can also get the policy type from bpimagelist, and from that you can then know whether to specify -nt_files or -unix_files...

...and where -R 2 is the depth to recurse the list to - maybe -R 1 will be enough for you, maybe it won't.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

There are to ways to delete : physical and logical

You may want to inquiry the customer what option they want to use.

By using logical deletion, you will delete the images from Netbackup, meaning there is no link to actual data anymore. Technical speaking data will still reside on the tapes, but nobody knows where. By importing the tapes, you can actual get "lost" data back, but it will require a effort to do this.

Physical deletion is where tapes are actual destroyed or overwritten.