cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore restores deleted or renamed files and folders

kessler
Level 2

Observed behaviour: When restoring a Full Backup with at least one Differential Incremental Backup, then files and folders that were deleted or renamed since the Full Backup took place, are being restored.

Exepected behaviour: When restoring a Full Backup with at least one Differential Incremental Backup, files and folders deleted or renamed since the Full Backup took place should not be restored.

We were able to reproduce this for Policy Type MS-Windows multiple times.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a folder with one file, e.g. FullBackup.txt
  2. Create policy performing a Full Backup once a month and Differential Incremental Backups daily. (see attributes in screenshot below)
  3. Run policy manually as Full Backup
  4. Change file name, e.g. to DifferentialIncrementalBackup.txt
  5. Run policy manually as Differential Incremental Backup
  6. Delete folder
  7. Restore folder (see settings in screenshot below)

Both files are then present in the folder.

NetBackup Version: 9.1.0.1

Policy Attributes:

kessler_0-1670937582184.png

Restore settings:

kessler_1-1670938602766.png

3 REPLIES 3

Slartybardfast
Level 5

Hi I am sure that you get both files back as Netbackup backups the file with FullBackup.txt name, you then change the name and to DifferentialIncrementalBackup.txt and do a diff backup. NetBackup treats this as a new file and the Diff schedule backs up the file as if were a new file. I could be wrong here but I am sure I will be corrected by the guru's that normally answer everyone.

Slartybardfast
Level 5

Just to confirm I have replicated you issue using a test rig running 9.1 and I think the behaviour is correct. The remaned file is treated as if it were a different file.

Thanks a lot for testing and replicating the behaviour.

I think that a Synthetic Full Backup might work as a solution. When creating one based on the Full Backup and the Differential Incremental Backup and then restoring it, only the renamed file is restored.

I will wait a couple of days for a guru to respond.