cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore status 83

Netbackup_Adm4
Level 4

Reference: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/client-restore-exit-status-83-media-open-error-disk

I am having this same error on my restores that are from basic disk on our media servers.  I am able to backup without issue but cannot restore.  I get the following errors.  This has been happening since migrating to 7.5.03 on new hardware.   Any help would be appreciated.  When this data is duplicated to tape we can restore successfully.

2012/08/13    9:39:07 AM    Critical    58873    Media Device    Invalid storage device: E:\DiskαÇáStaging no more entries
2012/08/13    9:39:07 AM    Critical    58873    Media Device    sts_get_lsu_prop_byname on LSU E:\Disk Staging failed: 2060013 no more entries
2012/08/13    9:39:07 AM    Error    58873    Retrieve    client restore EXIT STATUS 83: media open error
2012/08/13    9:39:07 AM    Warning    58873    Retrieve    Restore must be resumed prior to first image expiration on 8/20/2012 7:00:00 PM
2012/08/13    9:39:07 AM    Error    58873    Retrieve    The following files/folders were not restored:

28 REPLIES 28

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

OK, got a possible cause ...

Do you have  a force_restore_media server set ...

I'm thinking that the restore media server is not the one that backed it up - hence the error ... it would fit perfectly.

You mention 'media servers' , so this is at least a possibility.

Martin

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

... just to say, not about for a while, going out for a while.

Had a chat with Marianne, and if the cause is not as I described, then we are thinking it may be OS related in some way, but how, we are unsure at the moment.

Catch up later,

Martin

Netbackup_Adm4
Level 4

Sorry but a high priority issue has come about and I haven't had time to continue.  Should ahve time later today.  Where can I find the force_restore_media server setting?

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

On Windows Master, you will find this in Host Properties -> Master -> General Server -> Media host override

Hopefully you have bprd log folder on the master? We will need bprd log as well bpdm and bptm on media server.

Please rename log files to reflect process name (e.g. bprd.txt) and post as attachments.

Netbackup_Adm4
Level 4

I do have media host overrides set.  They are as follows:

masterserver overrides config:

Original backup server: mediaserver1    Restore server:  masterserver

Original backup server: mediaserver2    Restore server: masterserver

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Ten hurrays for Martin!

Not sure why the override entries were added in the first place, but they are now causing the restore failures.

E:\StagingTest exists on mediaserver2. Backup was written to this destination.

The override entry is sending restore intruction to masterserver. 
E:\StagingTest does not exist on masterserver. Restore fails with 'media open error'.

Remove the override entries. Your restores will be sent to media server who wrote the backup.

Netbackup_Adm4
Level 4

Alright!  Thanks so much.  This resolved the problem.  Thanks so much Marianne and Martin you guys are amazing!

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I'm tickled pink ...  I fixed something ....  (he he ... had a bad day so this is some good news)

Been out this evening, thank you Marianne for filling in and giving an excellent description of the issue.

Excellent - I really am pleased that WE could help you, it's all a team effort on here.

Kindest regards,

Martin

Thank you for posting and marking the solution!   This just resolved my issue as well!