cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore stuck at spawning child process

simpsioni
Level 3

Hi,

I'm trying to just do a basic restore of some data to a server and the job just seems to get to spawning child process then doesnt seem to do anything. There no indication of KBps on the job details and i left it for ages and there was no sign of the file so to me it seems like its doing nothing.

I've tried restoring data from its C drive from the same backup image and that worked fine.

I've restored a different file in the same area from anewer image and that worked.

I've tried restoring the file I cant get restored to a different server but that just ends up with the same result of stuck at spawning child process

I've tried restoring the file required to a C drive but that also ended up with the same result of stuck at spawning at child process.

I've taken bptm, bprd and some other logs but I cant see naything obvious (but maybe i am missing something)

Heres the job details:

restore_details.JPG

Anyone any ideas what else I should check/do?

Version is netbackup 7.5.0.6, master/media is Solaris10, client is windows server 2008

Thanks

Robert

12 REPLIES 12

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Check logs - bptm on media server and tar log on destination client.
(Under /usr/openv/netbackup/logs on Unix/Solaris, <install-path>\netbackup\logs on client)

If log folders do not exist, please create them and retry the restore.
Please also ensure that bprd log folder exists on the master server.
If you need to create the folder, restart NBU to enable this logs.

PS:
Please copy all of the text in details tab (not screenshot) and post here?
I would like to see what is below the entries that you have posted.

Once you have log files, please copy them to .txt files (e.g. bptm.txt) and upload as File attachments.

simpsioni
Level 3

Hi Marianne,

Please find the bptm log attached and the job details, the bit i ommited before was basically me stopping the restore job. How would I go about getting the tar log from the client? is it just creating a folder called tar in the usual logging area?

Thanks

simpsioni
Level 3

forgot to attach the job details....

Marianne

Yes. Simply create the folder under netbackup\logs.

Marianne

You say you are trying to restore to a different client, but the job details looks like you are trying to restore to same client?

restoring from image LDNWDFSP01_1409936440 
LDNWDFSP01 is the host to restore to

We need more logs - bptm is not telling us what is happening between 13:25 and 14:08.
All we see is the gap between log entries for PID 17414:

13:25:56.192 [17414] <2> connect_bprd_socket: [17412] data socket to bprd is connected port = 0,  fd = 1, DATAPORT=0, duping to stdin
13:25:56.193 [17414] <2> vnet_check_resilient_socket: [vnet_nbrntd.c:808] the socket is  0 0x0

14:08:39.081 [17414] <2> Media_child_dispatch_signal: calling child_catch_signal for 17 (child.c:3565) delay 0 seconds
14:08:39.081 [17414] <2> child_catch_signal: child.c.647: Entered: child_catch_signal

We will need bpdm and bpbrm logs on media server as well.
Probably bprd on master too, as second-last entry at 13:25 was connection to bprd.

simpsioni
Level 3

The server i want to restore the data to is LDNWDFSP01. I only mentioned restoring it to another server to let it be known what else I have tried to try and work around the issue.

Ive ran the restore job again and please find the logs attached. There was no bpdm log generated by the job.

Thanks

simpsioni
Level 3

bprd

simpsioni
Level 3

bptm

simpsioni
Level 3

client tar

simpsioni
Level 3

job details

Marianne

Does bpdm folder exist on the media server?

We can see in job details that bpdm process (PID 21906) was started on the media server:

Info bpdm (pid=21906) reading backup image

I will check logs a bit later (if time permits).

Just curious about the status 150 - did you kill the restore job?

simpsioni
Level 3

HI marianne, Yes I did indeed kill the job as it jsut sits doing nothing. The begin reading message that bpdm says only appears when the job is terminated.

I've checked if a bpdm log exists on the media server adn there is no entry for the restore. just the empty bpdm folder.

Thanks,

Robert