cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore using different media server

KNMV
Level 2

Hi help requird relatting to resoration of dat to different media server.

How to add a new media server to exixting environmet and i need to restore clent data to new media server also

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Have a read of the installation guide, this will detail how to install a media server. click on Attachments and click the pdf

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000004306

To restore to an alternate client, in the Backup, Archive and Restore window, click on the hand in the top right corner to change the source and destination client.

Select the source client that was originally backed up. Then select the Destination client you want to restore to.

Then select the start/end date and browse the directory structure you want to restore.

That is it. However, please note you cannot restore Unix backups to Windows and Windows to Unix. Must be to the same OS.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Have a read of the installation guide, this will detail how to install a media server. click on Attachments and click the pdf

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000004306

To restore to an alternate client, in the Backup, Archive and Restore window, click on the hand in the top right corner to change the source and destination client.

Select the source client that was originally backed up. Then select the Destination client you want to restore to.

Then select the start/end date and browse the directory structure you want to restore.

That is it. However, please note you cannot restore Unix backups to Windows and Windows to Unix. Must be to the same OS.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

To restore to different client (or new media server) using the new media server, you have 2 choices:

1. Redirect all restores for ServerA to ServerB: 
Add this entry to master server's bp.conf:
FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER = ServerA  ServerB 
see: http://www.veritas.com/docs/000044025 

2. Change media ownership for the tapes that you take to siteB for restore:
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpmedia -movedb -m <MEDIA-id> -oldserver ServerA -newserver serverB
(Do this for all tapes that are needed for the restore)

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Good point. OP do you want to restore TO the new media server or restore FROM the new media server?

your post says restore "to". I appreciate English may not be your 1st language. Please clarify as the answer may be Mariannes post or my post. I am suspecting you want to restore FROM the media server/

KNMV
Level 2

N0.i want to restore to new media server from existing client backup..

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Then my first reply stands - follow that. Make sure that the media server that will do the restore is in the NEW media servers SERVER list.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Do you want to use the new media server to perform the restore to itself?
(Restore to different client (new media server) using different media server).

Or use the original media server to restore client backup to new media server?
(Restore to different client (new media server)  using original media server)