cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring Data on a client in another Windows Domain

MelB
Level 4

I was wondering what I need to do to restore data from a server in one Windows domain to another server in a different domain without establishing any trusts between the domains?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

that is all you need, as Domain B connected to the master and media servers from where you did take the backup of Domain A.

you shouled be able to restore it.

as your are tyring to do the restore of exchage DB I would suggest to check 

fiat file backup and restore of Domain B ? how it work? 

if it works fine go ahead with DB restore.

if not, first concentrage to fix the flat file backup and restore, (this will make sure that the you not having any basic communicaton issue between the Master/media servers and Domain B)

let us know how it goes..

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

RamNagalla

does you master/media able to communicate with the destination domain?

for restore you does not needs to have the communication between the Source client and Destination client.

you only need to have the communication between the master/media server to the destination client.

if destination client does not able to communicate with the Master/media server,  restore the data to stage server ,  from there leave the taks to Windows admin to copy to the final destination.

MelB
Level 4

Thanks Nagilla for the comment, but I don't think that will be the solution. I will try to provide a little more information with my problem... 

Lets say I have 2 domains, A and B.   I have a sever on domain B Named Exchange_B that I am trying to restore backups that were taken from a server Named Exchange_A in domain A .  domainA and domainB do not have any established trusts between each other. domainA also contains the Master NetBackup server and the backup media (tape drive and tapes). The Exchange_B server had the Netbackup client manually installed on it from domainB. When I attempt to do a restore from the Netbackup Master Server to Exchange_B it will start the job and pull the tape, but when the job attempts to write to the Exchange_B server, I get a handshaking error. Is this an authentication issue?  Is there somewhere where I can configure it so it will work? 

P.S.  - in addition, the restore data is a storage group from Exchange 7.

Thanks in advance,

MelB

RamNagalla

so are you saying the the Domain B is having the separate master and meida server

and Domain A have seperate Master and Media server?

MelB
Level 4

No, Domain B does not have any Master or Media server.  Only Domain A has the Master and Media Server (the same box). Domain B only has the client on it.  By the way, it is Exchange 2007, not 7.

v/r,

MelB

RamNagalla

that is all you need, as Domain B connected to the master and media servers from where you did take the backup of Domain A.

you shouled be able to restore it.

as your are tyring to do the restore of exchage DB I would suggest to check 

fiat file backup and restore of Domain B ? how it work? 

if it works fine go ahead with DB restore.

if not, first concentrage to fix the flat file backup and restore, (this will make sure that the you not having any basic communicaton issue between the Master/media servers and Domain B)

let us know how it goes..

MelB
Level 4

Ok - will do.  WIll check the flat-file restore first and let you know what is going on.

Thanks,

MelB