Did you mean: 

Restoring Individual Mailbox with Exchange 2010 from Tape

Fyrul_Azmir
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hello All,

Master Server : Netbackup 7.0.1

Client : Exchange 2010 SP1 (No DAG)

As I understand, GRT restores can only be done if the backup is directed to a disk storage. Currently I am backing up my Exchange 2010 database directly to tape as there is no disk storage available. I have some question regarding restoring individual mailbox from tape :

1. Do I have to restore the whole Exchange 2010 database to a RDB (Recovery Database) then from there select which mailbox to restore and merge them to the production mailbox?

2. Can I duplicate the Exchange image from tape to a temporary disk storage and then perform restore from there?

Or is there any other way to perform individual mailbox restore from tape? Your advice and opinions are highly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

NO, if you do not backup with GRT then you cannot restore with GRT.

So you would have to restore from tape to a RDB then extract out the mailbox  or  once you have it in a RDB can you extract out ONLY what they are looking for  - email from a person or a word in the subject line or a note....

If your exchange has is set with all search-able mailboxes to have "SingelItemRecovery Enabled" on it and the exchange is set to hold deleted items for a length of time then you can use the Discovery Search with the Outlook Web App to find an item without having to do a restore.

OWA has eliminated most of my mailbox restores.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If you have some temporary space you can do backup to disk with GRT, duplicate it to tape using SLP and expire the disk copy after duplication. If you need to recover individual mailbox or mail, you can duplicate the required image from tape to disk (using bpduplicate) and recover it with GRT from the disk copy. A bit cumbersome and requires Enterprise Disk license for SLP, but works. 

Now when MSDP is certified for GRT I'd consider to invest some money into MSDP pool.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

NO, if you do not backup with GRT then you cannot restore with GRT.

So you would have to restore from tape to a RDB then extract out the mailbox  or  once you have it in a RDB can you extract out ONLY what they are looking for  - email from a person or a word in the subject line or a note....

If your exchange has is set with all search-able mailboxes to have "SingelItemRecovery Enabled" on it and the exchange is set to hold deleted items for a length of time then you can use the Discovery Search with the Outlook Web App to find an item without having to do a restore.

OWA has eliminated most of my mailbox restores.

Giroevolver
Level 6

Correct! People seem to think they can use GRT when they dont use it during backup!

Fyrul_Azmir
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Thanks Hinchcliffe for your explanantion. Will look into using OWA for mailbox restores.