cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring VM on NetBackup 7.7.1 cannot be done from Java GUI 7.7.1?

iwantam
Level 3

Hi,

Can we restoreVM on NetBackup 7.7.1  from Java GUI 7.7.1? On the manual I see the instruction is only using the BAR.

If it can:

I was trying to restore VM on NetBackup 7.7.1 using Java GUI 7.7.1, everytime I searched the vmware name I could and  selected it,  but then the client name was gone, I couldnot make it as the source client.?

Regards,

Iwan

8 REPLIES 8

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Yes, you should definitely be able to do this.

You need to be sure of the name that the client was saved with.

Here's how to find a client name when you can't remember what "form the client name took" in the original backup - i.e. was the VM backup saved using a VM Hostname, or the VM display name, did teh name have any upper-case characters etc... then this command may help you track down the actual name that was used to form the client name of the original backup:

Windows> bpimagelist -idonly -d 01/01/1970 00:00:00 -pt VMware | find /i  "partial"

Unix#    bpimagelist -idonly -d 01/01/1970 00:00:00 -pt VMware | egrep -i "partial"

...will search for the string "partial" is the list of all known backup images - of backups that used Policy Type (pt) of VMware.

If the above shows your backup images AND you still cannot locate the original backup in the restore GUI, then you are doing something wrong in the GUI.

iwantam
Level 3

SDO,

Thank you for the reply. I tried  your command, yes I can see the Image

[root@ebs1moc1 ~]# bpimagelist -idonly -d 01/01/1970 00:00:00 -pt VMware | egrep -i "cdmapp01"
Time: Wed 24 Feb 2016 04:01:10 PM SG   ID: cdmapp01_1456300870   INCR (1)

On the NetBackup Java GUI 7.7.1 I  choosed "Policy type for restores:" to "VMware then the button "Search VM Clients" on and I can search the vm that I want but after I Select and back to the main dialog box, my vmware  client gone on the "Source client for restores:" only other client and I couldn't choose from the dropdown.

On the Netbackup from VMware manual I only see it uses the BAR.

Regards,

Iwan

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

When you click on the little "pointing hand" icon on the top right of the BAR GUI, you then probably need to click "Edit Client List" and add the client name yourself to the list, and then you should be able to select the client name in the drop down list.

iwantam
Level 3

Sdo,

I don't have problem with the BAR GUI, I successfully restore the vmds. I just wondering can we use the Java GUI to do that?

Regards,

Iwan

nbutech
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Yes you can use Java GUI for Vmware restore

The only restrictions for restore as per this doc

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000068025

Iwan_Tamimi
Level 6

Hi All,

Finally I found the solution: it is a bug due to Java limitation. You can read here and the work around:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000097784

Problem

In the Backup, Archive, and Restore section of the NetBackup 7.7/ 7.7.1 Java GUI > Specify Machines and Policy Type > Edit Client list, when adding the name of a client that doesn't currently exist in the drop down box and saving it, the client name is not persistent in the list (is not added and kept).

Error Message

When examining the Java debug log, the following exception will be seen:

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Value too long: <client1; client2; client3; etc.>

Cause

The drop down box next to Source client for restores:  is initially populated with the results of a 'bpplclients -allunique' command issued by the Java GUI.
These results are stored in a preferences file for the Java console.  When the total number of characters exceeds 8192, the exception error in the log is shown.
This is a Java limitation and will be addressed in an upcoming patch release of NetBackup.

Thanks all for the reply.

Solution

This issue will be addressed in an upcoming version of NetBackup.
As a workaround, create a dedicated policy and add the name(s) of the client(s) that you wish to restore to the policy.  Nothing else needs to be added to the policy since it doesn't need to be run.  The client to restore should now begin to appear in the drop down box when configuring client restores.

Regards,

Iwan Tamimi

Genericus
   VIP   

I created a policy named deleted.clients - never runs, that I put my clients in as I remove them, just for this reason, to populate the restore client field.

Veritas - would be nice if you scanned the images directory instead!

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

Genericus
   VIP   

I jus added an IDEA to build clients to restore using the image directory

https://www.veritas.com/community/ideas/build-restore-client-list-images-not-policies

Go and vote for it!

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS