cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring a backup from one month ago

nvincideol
Level 3

Hello, I am kinda new to this topic. I have been running backups for awhile now, but face a new issue. We have five magazines of tapes -- each magazine is a week. I want to restore a NetBackup 7.0 full backup from one month ago, but all NetBackup shows in the Restore window is last week's backup. How do I display, say 8/25/12 and restore its backup? I have the magazine from one week ago. Will the tapes be overwritten this week since the magazine is repeated?

I've read a few forum posts, but don't know what these commands do:
  /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpexpdate -recalculate [-backupid backup_id]   [-copy number] -d date |0|infinity][-client name] [-policy name] [-ret retention_level] [-sched type] [-M master_server[,...,]]

With best regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Check the default application schedule retention - this is the one that sets the retention period and not the one you vreate that governs when the backup actually runs

For this type of backup you usually need Daily, Weekly and Monthly policies so that each one gets a suitable retention period in the application schedule

I am guessing that this is the case and you will need to import the tapes (phase1 and phase 2) as outlines above before you will be able to do a restore

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Do you have access to the Netbackup GUI? If so use the Backup, Archive and Restore section and restore your files. You can set a date range in there.

nvincideol
Level 3

Yes, but the date range of, say, 8/1/12 -- 9/25/12 doesn't find anything but last week (which isn't on the magazine that is in).

Thanks

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Are you selecting the correct Policy Type in the restore selection.

If you are and you are selecting the correct client and date  NetBackup may not have anything for the date you are specifying. The backup may have expired.

nvincideol
Level 3

How do I modify the expiry without messing anything up? Or unexpire it?

According to the link below, I could change the retention level to 4, but I am unsure about some of the parameters in the bpexpdate command. 

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH11408

nvincideol
Level 3

*I have the magazine from one month ago in.

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

If a tape or backupid is expired, there is no way to unexpire it. You could potentially recover it from a catalog backup, but if the tape has been reused, it's gone forever.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

What type of backup is this? (file system / database etc.)

Are you sure that the retention period set initially was correct?

Go to the catalog section of the Admin console and search for  that clients backups in the date range you are looking for - if nothing is there then they have expired and you will need to import all of the images from the tapes you have (otehrwise they will get overwrittne if you put those tapes back into the tape library

Let us know what you find

nvincideol
Level 3

The backup type is database -- I want to restore 8/25/12 (a census date) for reporting purposes before it is overwritten (this week). I can pull the tape for 8/25/12 (#6 (I think) - Saturday).

The retention period is probably set to default -- my supervisor has retired.

The search in the Catalog did not find anything for 8/25/12 (just last week). 

Thank you, with regards,

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

I assume you are selecting the Type as Database when restoring?

If the policy still exists and has not been modified, go and check what the retention was set to. If it had expired, then do as Mark suggested and attempt to import the image in.

NetBackup Phase1/2 import: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH43584

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Check the default application schedule retention - this is the one that sets the retention period and not the one you vreate that governs when the backup actually runs

For this type of backup you usually need Daily, Weekly and Monthly policies so that each one gets a suitable retention period in the application schedule

I am guessing that this is the case and you will need to import the tapes (phase1 and phase 2) as outlines above before you will be able to do a restore

nvincideol
Level 3

Thanks for the info -- I will let you know tomorrow.

nvincideol
Level 3

No luck when you don't know the Media ID. I'm going to pull the tape and keep doing research.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

If you have a choice of tapes you can put them in and just run a phase 1 against all of them

The details of each pahse 1 will show the clients and policies for every backup on each tape - that may be your only route?

nvincideol
Level 3

Initiation of bptm process to phase 1 import media id XXXXXX was successful.

--------------------------------------------------------------

No images found matching the selection criteria for phase 2 import.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Was a good try.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

did you look at the catalog section in the admin console - you will see at the bottom there are two tabs - one is the results tab

Here you can view the phase 1 import log which shows everything that was found on the tape - this will shiw the clients and dates of the backup so that you know what was on it

If it says that the image already exists and it is skipping it then the backup is still valid - if not it will tell you exactly what is on that tape

You may need to do a phase 1 on more than one tape before you can run a phase 2 if some fragments are on other tapes

nvincideol
Level 3

Thanks, Mark -- I can't spend a lot of time on this project. It was a hopeful one. The search results don't find anything in August. Retention level 4 on each day's policy is probably a good requirement.

Thanks for all the info!