cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring from Exchange 2007 backup to Exchange 2010

zmlat
Level 4

Hello,

We are in the process of decommissioning our Exchange 2007 environment. However, due to our backup retentions, there is a good chance that we may need to recover a mailbox down the line.

So...
1- can I restore to Exchange 2010 ?
2- if no to #1, then
    a) do I need to maintain a legacy 2007 server for restores?
    b) are there any 3rd party tools out there to restore a mailbox from an NBU Exchange 2007 backup, without a 2007 server?

Thanks

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Mike_Gavrilov
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

>1- can I restore to Exchange 2010 ?

No

>    a) do I need to maintain a legacy 2007 server for restores?

Yes

> b) are there any 3rd party tools out there to restore a mailbox from an NBU Exchange 2007 backup, without a 2007 server?

I don't think so.

View solution in original post

IonutP
Level 4

I was in the same situation as you, we have migrated from Exchange 2007 to 2010 and then from 2010 to 2013. To ensure that I can restore from older backups (even trough NetBackup is incapable of restoring as flat file .edb) I have a 3th party tool “Dell Recovery Manager for Exchange” which allows me to emulate a databases for Exchange 2003/2007/2010/2013 and I can restore the required database; exporting a required mailbox to a .pst is few clicks away.

Since you are covering occasional "just in case" use, you could keep a VM image of an Exchange 2007 server, and load it only when you need it.

3 REPLIES 3

Mike_Gavrilov
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

>1- can I restore to Exchange 2010 ?

No

>    a) do I need to maintain a legacy 2007 server for restores?

Yes

> b) are there any 3rd party tools out there to restore a mailbox from an NBU Exchange 2007 backup, without a 2007 server?

I don't think so.

IonutP
Level 4

I was in the same situation as you, we have migrated from Exchange 2007 to 2010 and then from 2010 to 2013. To ensure that I can restore from older backups (even trough NetBackup is incapable of restoring as flat file .edb) I have a 3th party tool “Dell Recovery Manager for Exchange” which allows me to emulate a databases for Exchange 2003/2007/2010/2013 and I can restore the required database; exporting a required mailbox to a .pst is few clicks away.

Since you are covering occasional "just in case" use, you could keep a VM image of an Exchange 2007 server, and load it only when you need it.