cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring from cumulative incremental backups

Rhyno
Not applicable
Hi all

This is a general query about restoring cumulative incremental backups. We are using NetBackup 6.0 MP4 and are planning to switch from doing full backups every night to running daily cumulative incrementals with a weekly full backup.

My understanding of Cumulative Incremental backups was that you only needed the last incremental backup and the full backup. However you don't seem to be able to select the Full on Sunday and the Incremental the following Wednesday without selecting all the interim Incrementals. Furthermore if I select the full and incrementals, select all files/folders and click  "Preview Media" NetBackup only responds with the media used in the final cumulative incremental and not both the full and incrementals.

What am I doing wrong? Or is this a bug in NetBackup?

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3

Clayton_Walter
Level 4
When you select that last incremental backup you will only see the changed files since the last full backup.  And selecting preview media required will only show you the tape with those files.  So unless ALL of the files in a particular directory have been changed since the last full backup (a rare occurance), you'll have to run two restores to get a complete restoration of a given directory (or directories).

The proper method for restoring a particular directory (or directories) using a Full Backup / Cumulative Incremental Backup setup is:

1. Obtain the media required for the last full backup
2. Obtain the media required for the last cumulative incremental backup
3. Restore the data from the last full backup
4. Restore the data from the last cumulative incremental backup (overwriting existing files)

This process will restore all of the versions of the files in the directory (or directories) up to the time of the last cumulative incremental backup.

Hope this helps!

Clayton

D_lizarazo
Level 2

Hello Guys, this is my case:

I have a last full backup on June 17, cumulative in jun 24 and, differential on jun 29.

restore.jpg

The server crash so a completely restore is needed , my question is how I should proceed to do the restore?

The same as mentioned by @Clayton_Walter, but :

1. Obtain the media required for the last full backup
2. Obtain the media required for the last cumulative incremental backup
 2.1. Obtain the media required for the last Differential incremental backup?

3. Restore the data from the last full backup
4. Restore the data from the last cumulative incremental backup (overwriting existing files)
   4.1  Restore the data from the last cumulative incremental backup (overwriting existing files)?

Thanks.

StefanosM
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

-First Do not bring back from the dead a 2007 threat. Create a new one.

Now,
Add all the required media to the library. You need the Full backup media (June 17), the Cumulative backup media (June 24) and the media for all differential backup from June 21 to June 29.

Then select from the backup history all backups from the last Full until last differential incremental backups (all backups from June 17 to June 29) and start the restore.
Netbackup will handle the restore sequence for you.

If you did the backup with true image restore attribute enabled, you can start a true image restore, so you will not restore the deleted files.

The above does not cover the restore of the OS of a server. Only the data files. if you need to restore the OS, do the same (not the TIR restore) but instead of just restore the files follow the procedure of this technotes:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100045797
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100004754