cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring of exchange backup from tape to disk

Sanjay7
Level 2

Hello Guys, 

Am a Newbie to Netbackup and one of the user accidentally deleted his sent items 3 weeks back and now am trying to restore from my monthly backued up data, am failing to restore it.

Intially i got to know from some of the search that, we cant directly restore from tape, as its granular data..

I did, copy data from Copy-2 to made it avaialbe to Primary copy and later on tried to duplicate to disk , but somehow am not able to find in logs whether its successful or failing for any particualr reason.

Can some one, Pls guide me in this regards....

Logs.

######################

09:28:04 3/12/2017: Restore Started

09:28:19 (130437.xxx) Granular restore has failed because the backup image is on tape. Please duplicate the image (dag01_1488298054) to disk.09:28:19 INF - Server status = 144
09:28:20 Status of restore from copy 2 of image created 2/28/2017 8:07:34 PM = invalid command usage

09:28:20 The following files/folders were not restored:
09:28:20 UTF - /Microsoft Exchange Database Availability Groups/dag01/Microsoft Information Store/Mailbox Database5/Database/Mohammad mahoud Asad Sara [mohammad.asad]/Top of Information Store/Sent Items/

09:28:20 (130437.xxx) INF - Status = invalid command usage.

09:28:20 INF - Server status = 5
09:28:20 (130436.xxx) INF - Status = the restore failed to recover the requested files.

##########################################

5 REPLIES 5

Tape_Archived
   VIP   

Please check the backup image details using command netbackup\bin\admincmd\bpimagelist -backupid dag01_1488298054 -L.  From this output please reivew all the details and understand it.

Once you get the backup image details you can do following:

1. If you have successfully created a copy to Disk from Tape then change the Disk copy as Primary copy using gui (Catalog->Verify->Select Image & Change to Primary) and initiate your restore.

2. Why don't you insert the Tape and start the restore, straight forward to restore if you have backup image on Tape.

2. Am looking for Granular backup, to restore sent items of only one user, it wont happen directly from the tape for any granular data restoration.

1.  For the Duplication of data from Tape to Disk, it throws me this error(As Attached)

Tape_Archived
   VIP   

These are two different things here, first you will have to make sure you have a valid image on disk or Tape, give more details about the backup you want to restore. Granular restore is second thing, sometimes you may have to restore the entire mailbox to get the exact email, it depends how it's backed up. First lets fix the problem about the image and then you can concentrate on the granular restore. GIve the details what you are restoring or you can give the output of that command if its possible for you.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@Sanjay7 the error is clear - you cannot restore GRT from tape.

If you have duplicated the backup to disk, the duplication attempt would appear in Activity Monitor where you can check to see that the duplication was successful.

Output of:
bpimagelist -backupid dag01_1488298054 -L 
will tell us how many copies of the backup exist.

After successful duplication, you will need to make the disk copy the 'Primary' copy as explained by @Tape_Archived.

tunix2k
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi,

the solution for GRT restore is given.

For duplication of backupimages which are handled by SLP have a look at the solution from this threat

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/Using-bpduplicate-to-duplicate-image-from-tape-to-tape/td-p/620...

ciao

tunix2k