cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring policies to another master server

lanira_1509
Level 4

Hi Everybody,

I am new on this discussion and not an expert to NetBackup too .

I was told to restore existing policies from a Windows 2003 Server (netbackup version 6.5.3.1 ) to another master server that we have already in production.

One Master Server is a Windows 2008 Server with a netbackup version 7.0.1 and the another is a Windows 2003 Server with a netbackup version 6.0

My first question is :

can we do that even if the version is different ?

My second one is :

if the first is feasible, could you tell me how to proceed please ?

I have to give a solution by Friday on this week...

Thank you in advance for your help !

Best Regards,

Lala

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Amol_Nair
Level 6
Employee
Since.you want only the 3 policies to be moved from one master server to another you can try copying the folders for the policies from one master to another. The policies are stored in the following location \netbackup\db\class This folder consists of folders with the policy name. Just copy the specific folder and the restart the netbackup services on the destination mastermaster server and you should find the policies there.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Adonis_Manansal
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi Lanira,

I think what you need to do is to migrate NBU catalog from one master server to another.

You can check below link:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/migrate-65-7-new-hardware

lanira_1509
Level 4

Hi Adonis,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Just to add some detailed information :

Among the huge policies set up on the server Windows 2003 Srv with NBU 6.5.3.1, there are only 3 policies that I was told to restore to one of the 2 servers I mentioned on my description.(Windows 2008 Srv with NBU 7.0.1 or Windows 2003 Srv with NBU 6.0MP7).

Thus, If I understand the link, I have no choice to migrate the Windows 2003 Srv with NBU 6.5.3.1 into 7.0.1 ? Or should I upgrade the Windows 2003 Srv with NBU 6.0MP7 into 7.0.1 ?

Thank in advance for your help !

watsons
Level 6

Catalog recovery can only work for same version of Netbackup. However, I don't think you can selectively choose what policies to restore, since you mentioned the destination master server is already in production.

Would suggest upgrading the 6.5.3 to 7.0.1 on masterA first, then slowly and manually migrate the policy over.

Are these 3 policies too complicated to be configured from scratch? A suggestion is to collect the "bppllist -L -allpolicies" output and port it to masterB (7.0.1 only for your case, not 6.0), and it's best to engage Symantec Netbackup Partners for the porting of those policies if you don't feel comfortable doing so on your own.

lanira_1509
Level 4

Hi Watsons,

Thanks you very much for your reply !

I think we will engage a Symantec NBU Partner because unfortunately, my team won't allow me to do the action on my own.

Thank you very much again.

Amol_Nair
Level 6
Employee
Since.you want only the 3 policies to be moved from one master server to another you can try copying the folders for the policies from one master to another. The policies are stored in the following location \netbackup\db\class This folder consists of folders with the policy name. Just copy the specific folder and the restart the netbackup services on the destination mastermaster server and you should find the policies there.

watsons
Level 6

Yes, this suggestion may work, but need to be careful - only works between master with the same Netbackup version/patch level - and need to make sure all its associated storage unit & volume pool etc. are valid.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I would try Amol Nair's suggestion. Just stop NBU on destination master and close GUI before you copy policies.

I hear what watsons is saying - there may be issues with policy header/checksum info between versions.
You will know immediately when you open the policy after restarting NBU.
If all looks fine and you can change pool and STU and all looks fine in other tabs, then policies should function normally.
Check with nbpemreq:
nbpemreq -predict -date mm/dd/yyyy HH:MM:SS  -policy_filter <policy-name>

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can also use the clipboard in the Windows NetBackup Admin Console.

I had two master servers at the same revision and wanted to copy policies between them. Right click Copy and switched to the other master server and Paste.

(PS This was on 6.5 or 7.0,7.1 might work still on 7.5 and later)

ontherocks
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Great Info yes

lanira_1509
Level 4

Thank you all for your support, I really appreciate it !

@Stuart Green:
It means that my source server needs to be upgrade though to 7.0.1.

As I mentioned before :

- Source Master Server (which are the 3 current policies to restore) : NBU 6.5.3.1

- Destination Master Server : NBU 7.0.1 or  NBU 6.0MP7(but I can forget it I suppose)

lanira_1509
Level 4

Thank you very much all !

I will update you the result once I will have the GO from my superior.

Meeting will be hold on Friday 2nd of May.

Yogesh_Jadhav1
Level 5

Lala,

The best approach is mentioned in above comments.  But I have personally migrated thousands of policies by making TAR and unTAR on the new master server in the CLASS directory of the master server. NetBackup had major problem with respect to migrating the policies (changing the properties) prior to 7.0 versions. It used to take infinite time to the migration and eventually we have to do the manual intervenstion. 

lanira_1509
Level 4

Hi Yogesh,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I am sorry, but I am very new on NetBackupsmiley...

What do TAR and unTAR mean in this NBU's environment ?

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Lala.

Marianne
Level 6

tar is a Unix command to create a backup file. So, not applicable with your Windows server.

You wiil simply map other server's drive where NBU is installed and use Windows Explorer to copy policy folders under class.

Just copy one policy folder as a test (with NBU down), start NBU and see what it looks like.

lanira_1509
Level 4

Thank you Marianne.

I believe that in NBU environment there would be a TAR command to do ! blush

Well, thank to everyone, I think I can close this discussion if everybody agrees !

See you soon,

Lala.

Marianne
Level 6
Technically correct, yes. The tar command will be in netbackup\bin folder. When Unix guys talk about tar it is normally the OS command that is referred to. Up to you to select Solution(s) if you feel that your query was answered.