cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restrict restore destination directory

Santha
Level 2
Hi All,

I have a task to restrict where the restored files go. I have setup OPS login to automatically start bp -r when they login to backup server so they can recover the stuff. They have a dedicated directory when the restored files can go. They normally choose this by changing the destination path. But sometime they forget to do so and overwrites the real files (current), so we want to restrict it by defaulting the recovered files to to restore directory. Is there an option in bp.ini or bp.conf to specify the destination path? or any other way?

Thanks in advance.
5 REPLIES 5

Android
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Would it be possible to set up your environment so that your media server does not have write permissions to the directory but read only.  This way backups can read, but restores cannot write.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
AFAIK there's no way of forcing bp or any of the admin GUIs to have a preset destination path that cannot be overriden in the user interface (bp or GUI).  That's not to say there isn't a method.  You could always open a support case.  Ove rthe years I've seen quite a few undocumented features/settings creep out...

As for another method... I think you'd end up writing your own restore interface.

Do your Ops always only restore from one source server, to one target server?
Do your Ops have to select by date?

You could knock up a script that accepts some basic input details from an Op, then does a bplist to confirm the file exists, then do your own bprestore command which must use an embedded "restore/rename" file to redirect files to a specific location on your target server.  Need help with this?

Deeps
Level 6
If you deny write to your media server how would you restore your data ? and how good that backup be which you can not restoer ????

Santha
Level 2
Just be clear.

I want to deny writes in production volumes, they can restore to the designated directory. Then they can do what ever they want w/o touching the prod files.

Sdw303:

Yep one server act as backup/restore and media server. Filer volumes NFS mounted and backed up ( not using NDMP for these vols). And yep they have to select the date.

Thanks

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
As you use "bp -r" I assume that you're forcing your Ops to use a Unix box.
I can't script Unix land at the mo.
Do you have any Windows based admin consoles, or capability to run a VM?
Do the restores always come from the backups of one source client?