Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retention Period

J_Huggins
Level 6
Partner
Hi all!

Just want to ask if there's any possible way to recover our data which is already reached the retention last December 27?

The data stored in MSDP.

Thank you in advance!
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

No. Not possible. 
But I guess you already know this as you can no longer see the backup info in BAR, right?

When expiration date for disk image is reached, all catalog info is deleted, followed by disk cleanup on media server.

Only if data has been duplicated to tape and the tape is not yet overwritten, you can import from tape.

Just double-check that your retentions are in line with business recovery requirements.

View solution in original post

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

This might help:

https://www.veritas.com/blog-article-page.html?id=759894

NetBackup - if a backup is due to expire it will be expired, irrespective of whether it is full or incremental.

BackupExec - preceding full and preceding incrementals will not actually be expired until the last incremental expires.

Therefore - the way "capacity" is managed is different between the two products.

So, I suspect that... either the data that you recovered from BackupExec was on tape, or that got lucky and BackupExec was still hanging-on to the backup data even though ostensibly it had passed its sell-by date.

Genericus
   VIP   

BackupExec - preceding full and preceding incrementals will not actually be expired until the last incremental expires.

This makes so much sense - there is no real purpose in having incrementals once the full expires...

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

8 REPLIES 8

Marianne

No. Not possible. 
But I guess you already know this as you can no longer see the backup info in BAR, right?

When expiration date for disk image is reached, all catalog info is deleted, followed by disk cleanup on media server.

Only if data has been duplicated to tape and the tape is not yet overwritten, you can import from tape.

Just double-check that your retentions are in line with business recovery requirements.

Hi Ma'am, thanks for the feedback.

Yes we don't see any data or backup in the BAR.

Expiration Date is also a Retention right? So if the configured retention is already reached, then the backup automatically removed from the storage MSDP. So the tendency we can no longer retrieve the data?

Thank you and best regards!

Marianne

@J_Huggins

Your understanding is correct, 
When retention is reached, NBU will expire all catalog entries as well as remove disk images.

Genericus
   VIP   

if you had a copy on tape, and it was not overwritten yet, you might be able to re-import images from it - do you have scratch tapes?

If only disk, once it is cleaned it is gone

Hi Ma'am @Marianne and @Genericus,

Thank you again for your response and as well as the knowledge you've shared to me.

I just want to share some of my experience with regards in this Retention.This is Backup Exec related. A year ago I am using Backup Exec and there's an intance there that my Backup Sets expires then I tried to recover some files in that expired backup sets and I was wondered because I was able to restore some specific in that expired backup set.

Can you please enlighten me if the retention period of Backup Exec and NetBackup is same or not?

Thank you and best regards!

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

This might help:

https://www.veritas.com/blog-article-page.html?id=759894

NetBackup - if a backup is due to expire it will be expired, irrespective of whether it is full or incremental.

Therefore - the way "capacity" is managed is different between the two products.

So, I suspect that... either the data that you recovered from BackupExec was on tape, or that got lucky and BackupExec was still hanging-on to the backup data even though ostensibly it had passed its sell-by date.

Genericus
   VIP   

This makes so much sense - there is no real purpose in having incrementals once the full expires...

Hi ma'am and sirs @Genericus@sdo and @Marianne 

Thank you for the knowledge and feedback!

Best regards!