cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retention Period

Tabriz
Level 5

Dear Community,

What is the best retention period for Weekly Duplication (SLP). The tape library has 25 tape magazine.

Best Regards,

Tabriz

6 REPLIES 6

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Ask your business - we can't really tell what is the best for your business owners, but my guess would be 4 maybe 8 or even 12  weeks.... all depends on business requirements...

Dear @quebek ,

Thank you for the response !

There are 25 tapes. For example, after 1 week the 18 tapes are full (The retention period is 3 weeks). The status code shows 96.  Can I retention the tapes 1 week according to the current situation?

In additional, The Clients (VMs) almost are stable.

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hi

For me doing a second copy of a backup has a purpose - like to keep it offsite... If you keep it still inside TL what is the point to keep it there? if that DC goes down it will go down with both copies....

Tabriz
Level 5

Dear @quebek ,

I don't keep it inside). I took the tapes out from Library (Which duplicated the backup images).

But I would like to know which retention period is suitable for stable VMs? Is it possible to do 1 week?

quebek
   VIP    Certified

@Tabriz - this is not a question to us. IMHO you can even put it on retention level 25 which is configured like below

25 0 expires immediately