cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retention Period

Dip
Level 4

I am trying to create new Retention of 2 Weeks on my Master server running 7.1.0.1. From Master Gui, I selected a Level 12 and updated from infinity to 2 Weeks and applied "2 weeks" retention to a schedule and started a backup using same schedule. When I double click on the Backup job it is shows infinity retention and not 2 weeks. Did anyone ran into this issue?

9 REPLIES 9

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Are you running it though SLP, if you are then you have to change the retention in the SLP configuration. SLP retention will override the schedule retention.

falti_manullang
Level 5
Partner

Check your Policy Update Interval. (the default value is 10 Minutes)

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Default level 1 retention is already 2 weeks - why create separate retention? Are you 100% sure that you have selected ret level 12 in the policy? Also, as indicated above, if SLP is used, retention will be set to infinity until duplications have been completed.

Dip
Level 4

Yes, I have as you can see in the screen shot below.

Looks like someone has updated the retentions from Level 1  -  2 Weeks to 10 Days sometime back when we were running 6x. Now that we need 2 Weeks retention and 10 Days was already in use by some of the policies I decided to create new one using Level 12. The Policy update time interval is 10 Minutes. I had changed this two days back so I am sure Policies would have been updated by now.

Dip
Level 4

I am not using SLP on those policies, Just an OST Storage unit.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Odd - tried to recreate this but mine is working fine.

If you set the bpbrm log on the media server, serah for the line that looks like this :

22:27:56.604 [3119] <2> logparams: -backup -S womble -c womble -ct 0 -ru root -cl test -sched full -bt 1347053275 -dt 0 -st 0 -b womb
le_1347053275 -mediasvr womble -jobid 674 -jobgrpid 674 -masterversion 750000 -maxfrag 524288 -bpstart_time 1347053575 -reqid -134692
8136 -mt 0 -to 0 -stunit basic_disk -rl 8 -rp 10800 -eari 0 -p /netbackup/nbu75/basic_disk -mst 1 -flags 0 -use_ofb -use_otm -jm -sec
ure 1 -kl 28 -rg root -fso -connect_options 16974338

You will see the retention period '-rl 8 ' - or in your case it should be '12'

Please also post up output of bpretlevel command

Regards,

Martin

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Have a look at your screenshot with Retention Levels. We cannot see the heading on the right of the picture. Is that where number of Schedules are listed with this Ret Level? Seems the number is 0 under this heading? Probably a good idea to restart NBU when retention levels are updated/changed. Please show us your policy config? bppllist 'policy-name' -U

Dip
Level 4

Thank you all for your replies.

Looks like the retention update did take effect after I updated. But when I ran a test backup the backup job still shows old retention on the GUI when I double clicked it. So I killed the job and started investigating. However, over night one of the policy ran the backup with 2 weeks retention and completed successfully. I went to check and possibly expire that image as it was showing infinity on the job in Activity Monitor and found it had only 2 weeks retention.

Did anyone manually run a backup using it after updating the retention?

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Have you restart your GUI after chaning retention period?
Change of retention period does not take effect in some parts of GUI.