cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retention level question

MilesVScott
Level 6
Certified

I'm a bit brain dead today... I have been pondering retention levels a bit in my off time. (Yes I live a sad life...)

How does NetBackup handle a image of a Full backup that is comming to the end of its retention period, but where there are incremental/differential backups associated withit that were created before the next most recent full? I am concerned that if NetBackup deletes these full backups immediatly at the end of their retention, that my RTO could drop by 6 day's every week, for standard backups with weekly fulls. 

If not I guess the only solution is to set the retention level of the full's to an additional (duration between full's) time period to allow for the gap. But this just seems like a process that should take in to account when there are dependant incremental backups....

Please someone let me sleep at night knowing my companies data is safe!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

If your FULLs expire before the incrementals that relate to them then the incrementals are only worth the files that they backed up - you could not do a complete restore.

Extend your full retention to ensure the incrementals have a little more reason to exist!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

If your FULLs expire before the incrementals that relate to them then the incrementals are only worth the files that they backed up - you could not do a complete restore.

Extend your full retention to ensure the incrementals have a little more reason to exist!

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The common practice is to have longer retentions for (weekly) fulls than for (daily) incrementals.

It will only be a problem if retention levels for fulls are the same as for incrementals.

MilesVScott
Level 6
Certified

Yea... Thats what I was afraid of....  Thanks for the quick responces!

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

You're not alone - I did it too!