cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retetion Level Issue in the Vault Duplication Process

WilliamSilva
Level 2
Certified

I have a Master Server, that is also a media server, Running on Solaris 10 Operational System and netbackup 6.5.4. We have Vault duplication and offsite configured in the enviroment. The Policies are configured to 1 month retention level. The backups are finishing successfully, so the vault process and duplication. After that the tapes goes to offsite location.

A few weeks ago, I realized that the expirations for backup policies were set to 3 months. I did some monitoring and discovered that right after the backups run, the correct expiration is set (1month), but after the Vault Offsite duplication process is run, the expiration of those very same backups are changed to 3 mounths.

I don't understand why the Vault process is changing the expiration dates of the originals images. I thought the Offsite retention were applied to only the copies, so I tried manually to  expire the duplicated images and it affected the original expiration date, too.

Now i can't expire the duplicated imagens and my tapes are spending too much time to get back the office.

Anyone here have ever seen this bug?

I'm waiting for some help. Thanks in advance.
4 REPLIES 4

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

make sure you are  specify the copy no while you are expiring the images... if you dont specify the copy no.. it will expire all the cops...

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpexpdate -backupid <backupid> -d 0 -copy <copyno>

above command should only expire the copy that  you specified.. so specify the copy no.. which you want to expire...

about the retenction chage.. in the Vault duplications.. . we may need to check.. the vault profile...

in the Vault porfile... we will have a option to keep the same retenction.. 

make sure that is selected.. and did not have any option to chage in retenction...

WilliamSilva
Level 2
Certified

Nagala,

I've made some changes in the Vault profile config. All check boxes that refer to vault retention level on Retention Mappings are seted to 1 month (this is the time expiration i need)

I'm selectin the duplicated image before the manually expiration, i'm sure. I'll keep on testing to understand why this is happening.

Tks

RonCaplinger
Level 6

William,

I can't see how or why NBU would change the expiration of the image like that.

Ignore this if it doesn't apply. Are you looking at the Retention Level 3 somewhere and thinking that means 3 months retention period?  Retention Levels are defined, and can be modified, in the properties for the Master Server.  The default for Retention Level 3 is a Retention Period of 1 month.

Also, the Volume Expiration Date is not the same thing as the Data Expiration Date; any chance you might have those mixed up in your understanding?

I hope this doesn't come across as insulting, I just want to make sure you know some of these things.

WilliamSilva
Level 2
Certified

Hi RonCaplinger,

Ok, don't worrie about beeing misundersood, your way of thinking is totally right, but unfortunately i understand the diferences about volume Expiration Date and Data Expiration Date.I also can't see why this kind of thing is happening.

I changed the expiration date to the tape, because it was impacting the return of it to the office. I didn't want to do it, but i had no other way in this case. My problem was not solved, cause this situation had happend before and i'm afraid it will happen again.

Thanks a lot for all your help.