cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return code 163

Ambica_S
Level 3
Hi,
I am executing vmphyinv command to get the physical inventory of my library. I get a return code of 163. What does this mean?

Can you also give me a reference containg all the return codes of Veritas commands?

If I am executing the command on Windows, where can I find out the return code of the command?

Is there any log location, where I could find out the details of the command execution?

Thanks.

Message was edited by:
Ambica SMessage was edited by:
Ambica S
4 REPLIES 4

patrickkuah
Level 6
Any error in the Windows event viewer???

You may download the Troubleshooting Guide http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/268196.htm
It contain all status codes you will get from NBU. The debug logs are located in "install_path\NetBackup\logs\" directory, you can create all debugs logs folder by executing the mklogdir.bat, then in NBU select the level of logging required, the higher the level, the more info you will get.

patrick

Stumpr2
Level 6
Ambica,
Status Codes may be deceiving. Sometimes they are of such a generic nature that they are meaningless. Please follow Patrick's advise and get the Troubleshooting Guide pdf on you desktop. In fact I suggest gathering all of the available manuals in pdf format onto your workstation/laptop's local harddisk. It will be easier to copy them from the installation CD's. Once you have them easily available for access you will come to love the acrobat search engine.

The log files are where you are going to get a lot of help over the years. Learn them and use them. While you are in the logfile look for lines that contain <4>, <16> for clues to any problems you may be experiencing. Also there are more logfiles available under $INSTALL_PATH\volmgr\debug

Here is a snippet from the troubleshooting guide:
On Windows, Media Manager records robotic and drive errors in the Event Viewer Application log. Log entries are also made when drives change between the UP and DOWN states.
If a problem requires more information, increase the level of logging to the Event Viewer Application log by adding a VERBOSE entry to the following file: install_path\Volmgr\vm.conf
In addition, you can enable debug logging for the NetBackup Volume Manager service by creating the following directories:
install_path\Volmgr\debug\daemon
(Debug information on the service)
install_path\Volmgr\debug\reqlib
(Debug information on the process requesting the service)
install_path\Volmgr\debug\tpcommand
(Debug information on the tpconfig and tpautoconf commands)
install_path\Volmgr\debug\ltid
(Debug information on ltid)
NetBackup creates one log per day in each of the above debug directories with file names of the form:
mmddyy.log For example: 110894.log
To disable debug logging for the NetBackup Volume Manager service, either delete or rename the directories.
Media Manager retains debug logs for the number of days you specify with the DAYS_TO_KEEP_LOGS = entry in the vm.conf file. (The default is infinite retention.) For instructions on using this entry, see the NetBackup Media Manager System Administrator’s Guide.

When using the troubleshooting guide, remember that there are "Status Codes" for Netbackup, media manager, and devices. There are different meanings to the codes depending which program generated it.Message was edited by:
Bob Stump

MayurS
Level 6
Handy Database of Veritas Status Codes
Bookmark the below page

http://www.mwalters.com/CLIC/Configs/Veritas_Status_Codes.htm

On a UNIX NetBackup server, if you see a status code without its associated message text, you can determine the message by using the bperrcode command:

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/goodies/bperrcode

Message was edited by:
Mayur ShindeMessage was edited by:
Mayur Shinde

Matthew_Shearer
Level 4
Thanks Mayur for the command line way to check error codes!

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/goodies/bperrcode