cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reuse Barcode Label on New Tape

sparkyssb
Level 3

I have approximately 1000 tapes at my company.  Lets say they are labeled 1-1000 with barcodes.  Over the years, some of the tapes have reached their end of life, too many mounts, too many years, etc and the data on them is no longer needed.  Because of how these are stored in filing cabinets, I would like to replace some of the end of life tapes with new ones but keep the barcode/media ID.  If I keep increasing the numbers, I have to buy more cabinets or come up with a whole new filing system.

To do this, can I simply delete the media out of the Media Pool and re-introduce the new tape with the same barcode using Inventory?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Yes.

Be very very sure that you do not need the data on the 'old' tapes, as trying to reintorduce these back may be impossible (the media id is written to the front of the tape).

TBH, I'd recommend using new labels, even if they are the same range.  The labels don;t tend to stick to well if peeled off a tape, and you really really don;t want a label coming off inside the drive, it tends to spoil your day ...

Martin

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Yes.

Be very very sure that you do not need the data on the 'old' tapes, as trying to reintorduce these back may be impossible (the media id is written to the front of the tape).

TBH, I'd recommend using new labels, even if they are the same range.  The labels don;t tend to stick to well if peeled off a tape, and you really really don;t want a label coming off inside the drive, it tends to spoil your day ...

Martin

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Just to confirm, you have to completly delete the tape from NBU, to be able to reuse the same barcode.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I'm with Martin on this one. Delete old media from NBU if you are sure they will never be used again and dispose of them. Best to put new labels on new tapes and don't try to reuse the old labels.

sparkyssb
Level 3

Thank you very much.  Can you confirm how I'm supposed to completely delete the tape from NBU?

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You can select the media-id's in the GUI, right-click, Delete.

NBU will only allow you to delete media for which there are no valid images or not assigned.
Tapes can have no vailid images but still assigned because they are in frozen state.

sparkyssb
Level 3

Great. That's what I thought...just wanted to verify.  Appreicate the both of yours assistance.