cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rman Netbackup backup to tapes

NBuser_123
Level 3

Hi,

I am in a very big dilemma. Please help!!

We migrated our Oracle 10.2.0.3 database from Server A to Server B. Server A has NetBackup Client (version 6.5) installed and the Rman backups were working and being sent to tape. Server B has some issues with installation of NetBackup client. Our System Admin is currently working to resolve these issues. Meanwhile I was asked to copy the RMAN backup sets from Server B to Server A and send them to tape from Server A (since we have the NetBackup client installed on Server A). This being a temporary solution until the installation issues gets resolved on Server B.

First of all I would like to know is this possible? Can I send the RMAN backup sets (and backup pieces) to tape from Server A where as the database is no longer residing on Server A (copying using scp or sftp is not a problem, I can copy the files to Server A, but can I direct them to sbt_tape)?

If so can you brief me the steps for doing it? Do I need to create a new policy? Or do I need to create a new schedule? If so can you give me the commands to create the policy and schedule? And finally the commands to send the RMAN backups set to tape.

Thanks,

AM

8 REPLIES 8

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

What OS on ServerB ?? what NBU version u are tring to install on serverB ?

IF ServerA & ServerB with different hostname then your backup will not work

for this u need to create other nbu policy & oracle backup script according to New host (ServerB).

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

To backup Oracle by NetBackup for Oracle(sbt_tape), NetBackup client must be intalled on the instance host, and libobk must be linked to Oracle.

Consider following steps insted.

STEP1: backup Oracle with disk channel on server B
STEP2: copy backup files created in STEP1 to server A
STEP3: configure file backup policy, and backup files transered in STEP2

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The backup type in Yasuhisa suggestion would be a standard backup (not Oracle).

You dump to disk via RMAN or export on B, scp those files to A, then backup (standard) on A.

NBuser_123
Level 3

Yogesh,

The OS on Server B is Solaris 10. There is no NBU on server B yet, but the SA is trying to install NBU client 6.5. And yes Server A and Server B are two different servers with different hostnames.

Yasuhisa & Riaan,

I will try to follow the steps that you mentioned. I've no questions as far as STEP 1 and 2 are concerned.

I will backup oracle database to Server B with disk channel (STEP 1), and then scp / sftp these files over to Server A (STEP 2)... But I've a question on STEP 3, how do I configure file backup policy (I never did this earlier, can you provide a command and if possible an example of this). And how to backup the files to tape, can you provide the command and an example if possible. Also do I need to connect to the master server before I run any command? Or the connection part is internal to the backup command in STEP 3.

Thanks for your support.

Thanks,

Akram

NBuser_123
Level 3

I took the backup on server B (backup to disk), and then transferred the files (backup sets) to server A. I tried to send these files to the tape using bp command (interactive menu) but I got this below error in the process log:

11:31:49 INF - Backup by oracle on client ebdm01-ebr:no schedules of the correct
 type exist in this policy

Can somebody let me know how to resolve this issue? Can I create a new policy (with a new schedule) if this policy is the issue? If so can somebody provide the command or steps on how to create the policy.

And how do I direct bp command to use this new policy? Am I going in the wrong direction? Please guide...

Thanks,

AM

Will_Restore
Level 6
EXIT STATUS 240: no schedules of the correct type exist in this policy

Solution

Check for the existence of a policy, for the client on which bpbackup is being run, and the presence of a schedule in the policy that is of type "User Backup".  If it does not exist, this would result in the job exiting with a  status code 240.  Note that in the bpbackup command you only need to specify the policy, and do not need to specify a schedule name.  
SOLUTION: If a User Backup schedule does not exist, create a schedule of type User Backup, and ensure that there is an open backup window for the time the bpbackup command is being run.  If there is no open backup window, you would then receive a status 199 at the next invocation of the bpbackup command.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Add a schedule in new or existing policy on the master for Server A of type 'User Backup' and add a window during which you will alow User type backups. You can even open User backup window 24 x 7.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

you are not doing an oracle backup - Oracle did the backup to disk on server B and made 'files'  just files.

you moved those files to server A - they are still files.  So you are not trying to do an Oracle backup from serverA you are just backing up files.  plan old disk files (they just happend to be an oracle backup files)