cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Robot Control Host

Lbellefeuille
Level 4

Hello everyone,  I would like to know if shutting down for a short period a robot control host (like an hour) would have an impact on current running backup job ?

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Providing no tapes need to be loaded or unloaded in that time you will be fine.

If you are running backups that do not finish, or require another tape - they would continue to run.

Drives will be unaffected (each media server sees the drives directly), only robot operations will fail (moving tapes).

As advised, it's pobably best to do this when jobs are not running.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

quebek
   VIP    Certified

If this is only RCH and not a server who is writing the backups it should not impact the currently running jobs... but if the job will need new tape to be mounted because for instance the media reached EOT mark  - it may fail, as well any new job which will request a media to be mounted... so shorter the RCH downtime the better...

Venkatesh_K
Level 5

If your robot control host is also writng backups then all those jobs would definatly be impacted/failed.

its better wait till all job completes and then plan the shutdown. or you can also have the jobs suspended before the shutdown

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Providing no tapes need to be loaded or unloaded in that time you will be fine.

If you are running backups that do not finish, or require another tape - they would continue to run.

Drives will be unaffected (each media server sees the drives directly), only robot operations will fail (moving tapes).

As advised, it's pobably best to do this when jobs are not running.

Lbellefeuille
Level 4

Thanks everyone for your answer.  I have all the info i needed.