Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Robot or changer error codes like tape alert codes in bperror

Sid1987
Level 6
Certified

Hi Everyone,

Is there any command like bperror for tape alerts, for robotic errors, changer error, if there is any issue in robotic arm or the robot is not accessible or the library is inaccessible, or is it only with bptm logs to find out? volmgr debug logs also doesn't specify what i am looking for.

9 REPLIES 9

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

There is no NetBackup command.

Have a look at this TN: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000031962

There is also a table with TapeAlert log codes in NBU Admin Guide II.

DPeaco
   VIP   

@Sid1987

What platform are we talking about? Windows, Linux, Unix?? A few more details can help us to help you better.

Thanks,
Dennis

Sid1987
Level 6
Certified
It’s unix platform. Let me know if you need any other details

Marianne
@Sid1987
Have you had a look at the info in my post?

TapeAlerts are not NetBackup errors. That is why there are no NBU commands.
This is one topic where OS and/or NBU version do not matter.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

A tape robot report errors back via the SCSI protocol.  The method is called SCSI sense key. A OS  log these errors, but the location is usually diffrent.

Wikipedia has a good page with generic sense key codes - but I recommend always using the SCSI manual from the vendor of the product as there may be differences from vendor to vendor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_Code_Qualifier

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Nicolai as always gives a good answer.

In summary, you will see ASC/ ASCQ errors.

Sid1987
Level 6
Certified

@Nicolai@Marianne, Thanks for the replies, Marianne I missed your post, sorry for that, I went through your post. We have a Tape Alert table which I am referring for any drive errors. e.g

0x01  None              Warning-WRN         Read-warning
0x02  None              Warning-WRN         Write-warning
0x03  None              Warning-WRN         Hard-error

Now I am creating a call home script for Library issues, I am almost through for all sorts of tape drive errors, What I am wondering is there any error logs or codes for gripper, or other library related not drive related issues. Or do we rely on this technote table only https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/24437881-126559615-0/v24235829-126559615

As per Nicolai, I need to go to SCSI responses so should i go for OS messages and scan that for Library issues?

Marianne

TapeAlert is a function of the tape drive firmware (not the tape library or any of its components).

Please see this extract from Admin Guide II:

About TapeAlert
TapeAlert is a tape drive status monitor and message utility. The TapeAlert utility
can detect tape quality problems, defects in tape drive hardware, and the need to
clean drives. For the tape drives that support TapeAlert, the TapeAlert firmware 
monitors the drive hardware and the media. Error, warning, and informational states
are logged on a TapeAlert log page.

The library manufacturer may have built-in or additional (licensed) monitoring utilities. 

DPeaco
   VIP   

I also look in /var/log/messages file for tape drive or tape media errors. Here is what one issue logged here looks like:

Operator/EMM server has DOWN'ed drive IBM.ULT3580-TD6.003 (device 3)

There are various errors that you can trap from the O/S side that will help you narrow down what the overall problem is. In AIX, you can get errrpt to tell you any errors that are reported to the O/S. In Linux you can use dmesg to help you find and narrow your error troubleshooting. I can't help you on the Windows side of the house because where I work, we are very strong Unix/Linux shop. :) 

Thanks,
Dennis