cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Robotic Control Issue (ACSLS)

MSchmalfuss
Level 2

Hello all!

I have recently become quite confused about my options for an old tape library. Here is the current situation:

We are running NB 7.6.0.2 on an AIX 6.1 Master, two AIX 6.1 Media Servers and two Windows 2008R2 Media servers. All are on 7.6.0.2 except the AIX media server that runs ACSLS for a rather ancient STK 9740 tape library. We had issues with it post upgrade and rolled back to 7.5.0.7 on that server. We are running ACSLS 7.3 on that server, which is out of support. Oracle no longer supports ACSLS for AIX. Because we need to keep the library around for old tapes on legal hold we need to find a way to keep this running. I also take backups of our test environment to the library and will need to until next spring when we get new hardware. Once migrated we will have to choose between maintaining the library or pulling drives out to connect as standalone and use if/when needed.

I originally *thought* LibAttach was a Windows replacement for ACSLS but apparently it is not. Is anyone aware of any options for moving robotic control to one of our Windows servers or would we have to get and Oracle Linux server going in order to have a supported ACSLS running? It looks as though Oracle only supports Solaris and Oracle Linux but it seems like there should be a Windows option as prevalent as it is. The robot is serially connected.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I was not referring to NetBackup master or media server. 
ACSLS normally runs on a separate Solaris server.
If you really have ACSLS running on an AIX server, I humbly apologize.
I have worked for many years for STK/SUN/Oracle reseller and have never seen ACSLS running on another OS.

About SCSI interface:
Have a look at this old doc that I found online for the STK9740 library:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19063-01/tw9740.tape/CRCM2267/CRCM2267.pdf

p.23:

Client/Server Connectivity
The 9740 offers numerous connectivity options to meet the customer's 
needs. It attaches to the host using StorageTek’s UNIX-based Automated 
Cartridges System Library Software (ACSLS) or SCSI-2, enabling connectivity 
to devices from several vendors. Because the StorageTek’s TimberWolf 9740 
supports new or expanded configurations as your business needs shift, it is 
truly a long-term storage investment.

p.30:

SCSI 
Communication to the robotics is available over a SCSI for a single LSM, in 
single host client/server environments only. To take advantage of this 
feature, you must order a card and hardware kit. The card is capable of 
both single ended and differential alternatives. The configuration of the 
card, when shipped, is set for differential, and must be reconfigured for 
single ended. Both single ended and differential terminators are supplied in 
the kit.

To connect the robot to a Windows media server via SCSI, you need no additional software.
The OS driver will see it as 'Unknown medium changer'.
This is all NBU needs to communicate with the robot.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Marianne

STK9740 also has a SCSI interface that can be connected directly to a media server.
Even a Windows media server.
The SCSI interface is normally High Voltage Differential. This is what the graphic looks like: 
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/scsi/z_t10_iconhvd.gif 
Just ensure that you have a suitable HBA in the media server where you want to attach the robot.

There is therefore no need for ACSLS.

Oh! Are you 100% sure that the AIX server is running ACSLS?
The software normally runs on a Solaris server where the robot is controlled from, with acsd and other daemons on the AIX media server connecting to the ACSLS server via the network for tape requests.

LibAttach is the STK/SUN/Oracle software running on the Windows media server to communicate with the ACSLS server. NBU for Windows does not have the acsd binaries that Unix/Linux media servers have to communicate with ACSLS, and therefore needs LibAttach.

There are also other ways to ensure you can read old tapes, depending on the drive types in the STK robot.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

The 9740 is a API controlled robot that need ACSLS to control it.

Unix based Netbackup servers has the ACSLS API libraries included in the code.

Windows based Netbackup servers need the libattach software from Oracle in order to have the same functionality as the UNIX/Linux base servers. I have never fully understood why StorageTek/Sun/Oracle released libattach as separate software - but that the way it is.

The ACSLS server itself can be Solaris on Sparc or Solaris on X86. So windows is not a option here. 

When using ACSLS robots you don't have any robotic control host - ACSLS is the robotic control host so to say.

The options you have :

• Move ACSLS to a Solaris X86 box - it does not need to be a box from Oracle. e.g HP DL380 is supported running Solaris X86. Check what you have in the basement.
  • Resolve the issues you had after upgrade 7.6

Hope this clarify

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

How may 9740 frames do you have Mike ?

With only one frame you can use the SCSI interface as Marianne pointed out. But if more 9740 frames are connected, is must use the serial interface and ACLS. SCSI is not longer a option then.

MSchmalfuss
Level 2
Marianne/Nicolai, Thanks for the quick replies! First off, yes, I am certain we are running ACSLS on AIX. It used to be the only OS type we had for NB until VCB arrived and we added Windows servers to the mix. It was such a reliable combo that I apparently missed the fact it was no longer supported on AIX until we finally had an issue. If I understand the above posts correctly I should be able to attach our (single frame) library to a Windows medai server via SCSI once we validate/install the proper card is in place. If so, does Windows/NBU see and allow use of the library without the need for any additional software? Currently, only our two AIX server use the drives in the library (9940B and 1 DLT). Would I be able to keep that the same and just let the Windows server handle robotic control? Thanks, Mike

Marianne

I was not referring to NetBackup master or media server. 
ACSLS normally runs on a separate Solaris server.
If you really have ACSLS running on an AIX server, I humbly apologize.
I have worked for many years for STK/SUN/Oracle reseller and have never seen ACSLS running on another OS.

About SCSI interface:
Have a look at this old doc that I found online for the STK9740 library:

p.23:

Client/Server Connectivity
The 9740 offers numerous connectivity options to meet the customer's 
needs. It attaches to the host using StorageTek’s UNIX-based Automated 
Cartridges System Library Software (ACSLS) or SCSI-2, enabling connectivity 
to devices from several vendors. Because the StorageTek’s TimberWolf 9740 
supports new or expanded configurations as your business needs shift, it is 
truly a long-term storage investment.

p.30:

SCSI 
Communication to the robotics is available over a SCSI for a single LSM, in 
single host client/server environments only. To take advantage of this 
feature, you must order a card and hardware kit. The card is capable of 
both single ended and differential alternatives. The configuration of the 
card, when shipped, is set for differential, and must be reconfigured for 
single ended. Both single ended and differential terminators are supplied in 
the kit.

To connect the robot to a Windows media server via SCSI, you need no additional software.
The OS driver will see it as 'Unknown medium changer'.
This is all NBU needs to communicate with the robot.

MSchmalfuss
Level 2
Marianne, Thanks again for the reply. We had SUN servers here before I started but thay have been gone for 8+ years. Ours is overwhelmingly a Windows & AIX shop with a handful of linux servers. No need for apologies. You were just trying to be clear. :) I will research the SCSI option in connecting to a Windows media server as it looks like the best option to get us through to the new budget cycle and finally enough additional disk to get off this ancient library! Thank you both for helping clarify my options! Mike

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

ACSLS on AIX was quite normal in the old StorageTek because there was certain overlap with mainframe based systems using HSC (mainframe version of ACSLS).

Installation of the SCSI disables the serial interface

So if you are running serial it means you probably have no SCSI card. Are you so lucky it left somewhere near the installation ?

Short term "fix" may very well to find a old X86 server compatible with Solaris X86 (e.g HP DL380) and move ACSLS to that host until decomm.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Just to show how stable ACSLS is under Solaris for X86

11:31am  up 932 day(s), 20:58,  3 users,  load average: 0,01, 0,11, 0,16