Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Robotic tape library down error

Krishna_pala
Level 1

Hi Marianne,

Greetings!

Requesting the help from experts on veritas netbackup forum. I need you help desparetly. I started working on netbackup recently -4-5 months ago. I always face the "robotic library down on server" error. below are the details of our setup. I need you kind advice to narrow down the issue . Please kindly request your help, I will be greatfull.we have two libraries in two different locations(states) in USA.

when I bounce the services of master and media nad re-scan drives. the error goes away for few days and then it back again. When I have this error, robtest fails.

Netbackup version 8.1..this version is not listed in the above drop down lists

uspl001-master and media server (linux)

uspwh0133- Media server,windows the above master/ meadia nad this media in same state or location

Uspwh0131,media server,windows different state,location

we are facing this often. The robtest fails when we see this error. we replaced 3 faulty drives in library. The library is IBM tape library, IBM 3584, how do I narrow this down kindly advicerobotic library down(USPL001 and USPWH0131).jpg

2 REPLIES 2

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

When you run robtest, what happens.

You say it fails, but in what way - for example, does it connect but not able to run any 'robtest' commands, or does it not even connect.

When you 'fix' it by bouncing the server, when you say you rescan drives, do you mean you actually reconfigure the drives, and if so, do the paths to the library and drives change (this can be seen from tpconfig -d on the robot contrl host before you 're-scan' and compared to tpconfig -d after.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@Krishna_pala 

When robtest fails, I fail to see how a restart of NBU is solving the problem.

robtest (although NBU command) bypasses NBU completely and interacts with tape library directly. 

Can you show us what exactly the robtest error is? 

Any device-related errors in Windows Event Viewer System or Application logs?