cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Robtest Command

H_Sharma
Level 6

Hello Experts,

We have 1 Master server (Cluster) and 4 media servers. Few days back we had to move tapes from one slot 2 another.

Tape drives are mapped to the 4 media servers not on the master.

I tried running Robtest on master and got error no robots are configured and also tried from 1 or 2 media server and got almost similiar error.

Pls tell me from which server should i run the robtest command.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Please look at my previous post again. Have you tried to run 'tpconfig -l' on any of the media servers? Robot control host is selected the 1st time you configure devices. Only one media server in the environment can be the control host. This is the media server that will send mount and dismount instructions to the robot.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Marianne
Level 6
The media server configured as robot control host. Look at output of tpconfig -l. If the robot is local, you will see a device name/path. If the robot control is on another media server, you will see the name of robot control host. Why do you need to move tape to another slot?

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

Few days back we had to move tapes from one slot 2 another.

have you done this though robtest? or with some other method? 

if though robtest.. from where did you run it, and have you perfomed inventory after moving the tapes, any tape movement outside the netbackup should be followed by Inventory to avoid missmatch.

H_Sharma
Level 6

Hi Marianne,

Could you pls let me know in which server i need to serch for robot control host and how as we have 1 master and 4 media server?

What is the use of it?

Do we need to manully configure it?

Thanks,

Marianne
Level 6
Please look at my previous post again. Have you tried to run 'tpconfig -l' on any of the media servers? Robot control host is selected the 1st time you configure devices. Only one media server in the environment can be the control host. This is the media server that will send mount and dismount instructions to the robot.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Marianne gave the answer.

On any master or media server, run tpconfig -d   Towards the bottom of the output it will show the robot(s).  If it shows a hostname, that is the robot control host.  If it shows a path, then you are already on the robot control host.

You can only run robtest from the robot control host.

If you move tapes about with robtest, NBU is unaware of this, so you have to then run an invtory from NBU, to make sure the locations of the tapes are up-to-date.

H_Sharma
Level 6

Thanks Marianne,

Just for my knowledge.

What will happen if only it is down?

Marianne
Level 6
If robot control is on regular media server and not on clustered master server, then this media server becomes single point of failure. If robot control host media server is down, then no tape mounts or dismounts can take place. All tape drives will be in AVR (Standalone ) mode.