Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rollback configuration after BMR restore

santave
Level 4

Hi,

Master, media, clients use same Linux and nbu 7.5.0.6
I did BMR restore from prod server to test server, let say hostname prod1 to test1.
Once restore completed, target hostname still the same,test1.
And prod1 still running backup daily.

Problem:
When I did bptestbpcd -client prod1 it resolves to test1 as CLIENT_NAME
stop nbu service in test1, restart prod1 nbu service, then bptestbpcd -client prod1 resolve to prod1.
But sometime bptestbpcd resolve back to test1.

How I can rollback, so bptestbpcd always resolve to prod1?

Thanks,
Santave

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

Below point would be helpful to you to figure out the problem,

BMR by use-case does not meant for provisioning. It recovers backed-up client as it is, IMPORTANTLY with the same host name to,

- same or different hw

- same or different physical subnet

- with same or different ip details

Do yo have both your production and test are now running with the same hostname and ip-address post bmr recovery?

If ping is working then you may want to clear nw cache from master and media server. Try rebooting the NetBackup services if possible.

Thanks.

Mandar

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

rishi_raj_gupta
Level 4
Employee

As per the description, it seems you have tried Linux BMR restore on a different hardware (production to test server). 

There is a technote to guide on BMR Linux recovery on Dissimilar hardware (on a different Target). Please refer to it to verify the process you have followed. Especially refer the Note section which may help in your case. 

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH62678

- Rishi Raj

santave
Level 4

My problem is not the bmr, I did the bmr restore successfully.
The problem is master server always resolve to the target hosts (test1) , when I run bptestbpcd -client prod1 from master server.
It means, it always backup the test1 server (the prod1 never get backup after bmr restore happened)

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

You need to check how your netbackup master server resolves client host name. Which ip-address it gieves production or test client? If you are using DNS server then fix name-ip resolution there so that netbackup master will go to correct production host.

Thanks.

mandar

santave
Level 4

hosts file in Master , media and client all fine.
This is impact after doing bmr restore. BMR makes prod1 replaced by test1.
So, master and media server will resolve to test1, even I do bptestbpcd -client prod1 and ping still also point to prod1 IP.

,/bptestbpcd -client prod1 -verbose
1 1 1
10.xx.99.xx:56715 -> 10.xx.99.2:1556
10.xx.99.xx:41979 -> 10.xx.99.2:1556
PEER_NAME = master1
HOST_NAME = prod1
CLIENT_NAME = test1

I think, there is configuration somewhere to rollback after bmr restore, if we want to keep the source client and ignore the target client.

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

Below point would be helpful to you to figure out the problem,

BMR by use-case does not meant for provisioning. It recovers backed-up client as it is, IMPORTANTLY with the same host name to,

- same or different hw

- same or different physical subnet

- with same or different ip details

Do yo have both your production and test are now running with the same hostname and ip-address post bmr recovery?

If ping is working then you may want to clear nw cache from master and media server. Try rebooting the NetBackup services if possible.

Thanks.

Mandar