cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Routing traffic over backup lan to Datadomain appliance

Uncle_Bob
Level 4

I would like to know if anyone has managed to configure Netbackup to route backups to a Datadomain appliance using a dedicated backup VLAN.  I am trying to get a client to backup to a media server which has the OST plugin installed and is also configured as a media server for he data domain appliance.  I have host file entries for the IP of media server backup lan on the client and corresponding entry for the client on the media server.  The media server also has an addtional entry for the IP to the datadomain appliance on the backlan and similarly there is a host file entry on the appliance referencing the media server. In tests I have manged to get data from the client to route via the isolated VLAN, but from the media server to the data doamin appliance data always seems to go over the public network.  I have tried to sepcify the IP of the data domain appliance as the preferred interface on the media server settings with host properties>>clients,  but in this instance it errors with status code 25 : cannot connect on socket. The only server which does not have a connection to the isolated network is the master server, so I am wondering if this could be the issue.

Any assistance would be helpful.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Max_Booth
Level 3

The trick is that the Media Server has to access the DataDomain using the same name that you have configured (via nbdevconfig) when you added it as a storage server and you just need to fool it into using a different ip address.

Check the name that it's configured as:

./nbdevquery -liststs -stype DataDomain

So if you added it via its public hostname, then you need to add an alias/override on the media server so it resolves that name as the backup ip address of the DataDomain so it thinks it's accessing the configured storage server but is doing so via the IP Address that you override.

/etc/hosts <datadomain backup IP>    <datadomain public name>

You also need to export /backup/ost on the DataDomain to the backup hostname of the media server.

- Add a local host entry on the DataDomain so it can resolve the backup hostname of the media server (via net hosts add)

- Export /backup/OST to the media server (via nfs add /backup/ost <media server backup hostname>

The Master doesn't need to communicate with the Datadomain so that shouldn't be an issue, and anyway it should be able to contact it with the same name via the public network in any case.

Regards,

max.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
If you configured NFS mount or CIFS access using backup LAN host name, backup data must be directed through backup LAN.

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

You say "but from the media server to the data doamin appliance data always seems to go over the public network"

Why do you have two IPs configured on the DD? Why not simply leave only the backup IP on it? Or does it only have one, and the media server is getting to it via a router?

You also state "I have tried to sepcify the IP of the data domain appliance as the preferred interface on the media server settings with host properties>>clients". Do you mean you entered the IP of the DD, on the media server's SPECIFIED NETWORK INTERFACE? That wont work, you need to enter the media server's backup IP in that field. This however will only force the media to use that interface, if it then does and name resolution doesn't provide the IP of the DD then it wont work either.

How did you configure the DD? By using name or IP?

Max_Booth
Level 3

The trick is that the Media Server has to access the DataDomain using the same name that you have configured (via nbdevconfig) when you added it as a storage server and you just need to fool it into using a different ip address.

Check the name that it's configured as:

./nbdevquery -liststs -stype DataDomain

So if you added it via its public hostname, then you need to add an alias/override on the media server so it resolves that name as the backup ip address of the DataDomain so it thinks it's accessing the configured storage server but is doing so via the IP Address that you override.

/etc/hosts <datadomain backup IP>    <datadomain public name>

You also need to export /backup/ost on the DataDomain to the backup hostname of the media server.

- Add a local host entry on the DataDomain so it can resolve the backup hostname of the media server (via net hosts add)

- Export /backup/OST to the media server (via nfs add /backup/ost <media server backup hostname>

The Master doesn't need to communicate with the Datadomain so that shouldn't be an issue, and anyway it should be able to contact it with the same name via the public network in any case.

Regards,

max.

Uncle_Bob
Level 4

Max

Thanks for the update, I have configured configured exactly as you have stated and created a storage server using a separate IP and Hostname from that to the public network interface combined with an host file entry on the data domain appliance.

This works perfectly now.  I found that you only need to configure a single storage server for each data domain appliance and this can have multiple media servers associated with it, but the storage unit works intelligently to route data over the private network, providing the above steps are followed.

Many thanks to all who posted a response on this subject.