cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Run a Test backup to a particular drive

Zenshai
Level 4

Hi All,

Is there any way in Netbackup 7.0.x (or later) to kick off a one-off test backup to a particular tape drive of your choice?

The use case is like this - DriveA broke and was replaced today. I want to make sure the Vendor tech put the replacement tape drive in rightside up and that everything works end-to-end. The best way to do this would be to just run a backup through the drive and cancel it after its written some data. However if i want to do that today i'd have to do something silly like down all the other drives and/or deactivate other media servers. I'd like to have a less disruptive solution.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

There are only two ways to do this.

1/  Down all the other drives (easiest)

2/  Change the new drive to a different density (eg if other drives are hcart2 make it hcart or dlt or 4mm )

Change a tape to the same density, put in volume pool to be used by test policy

Create a new storage unit using the drive density defined for the test

Creat test policy and use this new STU and specify the volume pool containg the tape with the same density as the drive.

Regards,

Martin

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

There are only two ways to do this.

1/  Down all the other drives (easiest)

2/  Change the new drive to a different density (eg if other drives are hcart2 make it hcart or dlt or 4mm )

Change a tape to the same density, put in volume pool to be used by test policy

Create a new storage unit using the drive density defined for the test

Creat test policy and use this new STU and specify the volume pool containg the tape with the same density as the drive.

Regards,

Martin

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Go for option 1 everytime!

Do this preferably whilst already being disrupted - e.g. when the drive is being replaced!

Most other changes will probably require a restart of services anyway....

Option 3: run enough different jobs consecutively to ensure that ALL drives are utilised (or until such time as the one to be tested is) - this could be a bit of a b****r to achieve in some environments!

Zenshai
Level 4

Well, that sucks. I was hoping there was some clever way to do this that I hadnt thought off. I might just have to stop being lazy and script it...