cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Run backup Full in the incremental backup schedule. Policies with Deduplication

Heron_Batista
Level 4

Run full backup on the weekend and incremental from Monday to Friday.
Use deduplication in policies.

The schedule "Full_Mensal" run in MSDP disk and copy to tape (duplication) SLP.

--> Why Monday's full backup runs? It is set "Incremental"!!!

Thanks.

28 REPLIES 28

Heron_Batista
Level 4

Hi Mak Solution, thanks for the tip. I did exactly this setting.
sdo, I understand you, but do not do dedupe at the client, it is not a very good hardware, moreover have a network of 10G.
Marianne, run backup to disk at night window (faster) and I duplicate out of the window.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Your daily diff are quite small relative to the full.  Therefore server is fairly static.  If you employ Accelerator and NTFS Change Journal and Client Side dedupe - you might drastically reduce your backup time.

e.g. I have a 1TB (yes, 1100GB) Hyper-V lower power VM that is a file server, quite static, hardly anything ever changes on it, full backup in 1 hour (sometimes as quick as 30 minutes), and a daily 25GB differential in 1 hour too - or a 50GB daily diff in 90 minutes.

Your daily diff's are around 40GB to 100GB.

N.B:  Because you have a very high file count, then if the disk containing the NetBackup Client binaries is tight on space, or a poor performer, then it might be worth re-locating the accelerator track log quasi-database to another volume with more space, or which is more performant - but preferably empty and not used by anything else - e.g. maybe get a new small-ish LUN presented purely to hold the accelerator track log.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Marianne, run backup to disk at night window (faster) and I duplicate out of the window.

If this is the only reason for disk backup, you may as well use BasicDisk.

As per Mark's post:

If you want it to work to its best give it a decent retention period .. you will get better dedupe, faster accelerated backups and a less overworked system

The standard recommendation is 2 weeks on disk.
Retention on disk should not be less than 1 week.

If you cannot keep backups on disk for this long, then MSDP calculations were done incorrectly.
Or your environment has grown faster than anticipated.

Heron_Batista
Level 4

Hi...

thank you for the tips!!

*retention in disk: 8 day

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

How is your post the solution?

Marianne
Level 6
Please be fair and mark Solution for a post that pointed you in the right direction - not your own!

Heron_Batista
Level 4

Hi all,

I always try to be fair with my attitudes, but there was no comment similar to what was effectively configured.

the one who said something was Mark_Solutions still later.

But come on, tell me what was the comment that deserves solution.

Marianne
Level 6
A post where you say "The Netbackup is dumb" is certainly NOT a solution - especially when YOU have made a configuration change that deserves the same description. Mark was the one who pointed you in the right direction. When you followed his advice and extended retentions on disk, your problem with incrementals got resolved, right?

Marianne
Level 6
Apologies. I accidentally marked a post as solution while scrolling on my phone. Please clear the Solution. Thanks!