Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAN Client

manjula_srilank
Level 4
Certified

Dear All

My customer needs get MS windows File server backup. It has nealry 1TB of data backup daily. So need to get entire backup with in backup window with other VNware backup too.

I went through the Vmware SAN client documment. we have all FC connnection SAN switch and IBM storage with FC HBAs.

But as this document, the implimentation is not very clear and complicated.

can eny one help me how to impliment this as step by step guide( which component should install to which server/client)

Thanks in advance.

My set up as follows

1) netbackup 7.5.0.5 on top of windows 2008 R2

2) IBM V3700 storage with FC

3) IBM x3650M4 backup server with FC

4) Brocade SAN switch

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Your Windows 2008 server cannot be a Fiber Transport Media Server.

As per my previous post (and SAN Client manual), only Solaris SPARC and Linux media server are supported.

Seem you need to choose between SAN Client and SAN media server. Have you read the TN in my previous post?

If you choose SAN Media server, you can install NBU server software on the file server and SQL server.
Firstly, add these machines as Servers in Master server Host Properties.
Choose Media Server installation (for detailed instructions, see NBU Installlation Guide), ensure backup devices (tape and/or disk) are seen at OS level, then run Device Config Wizard which will add devices to NBU config and add Storage Units for each of the SAN Media Servers.

Create backup policies for these servers and choose their own STUs as backup destination.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

manjula_srilank
Level 4
Certified

Sorry my above post it should netbackup SAN client instread of Vmware SAN client

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

hi Manjula,

so  IBM x3650M4 backup server with FC would be your FT media server?

to impliment the SAN client you would require to configure the FT media server too along with the enterpirse client lincese.

how many SAN clients you are looking for configuration..

if that is only one.. i would suggest you to make it as a SAN media server instead of SAN client.

if it is only one client that required to use SAN transport , SAN media server would be the better solution in my opening.

in SAN media server, you directly install the netbackup media server on the File server and directly send the backup to the storage unit (Tape or Disk)

it will also decreese the one hop on the data travel.. 

Marianne

As per the SAN Client documentation, you need a Solaris or Linux media server with supported Qlogic HBA to configure at Fiber Transport Media server.

The alternative is to purchase Enterprise Client and configure the File server as SAN Media Server.

See http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH135896 
What is the difference between the SAN Media Server and SAN Client features?

manjula_srilank
Level 4
Certified

Thanks Nagall and Marianne

1 as per Nagalla

IBM X3650m4 is my FT media server (master and media server both one physical server)

We have 1Tb capacity base license

basically 2 SAN clients (Windows file server and SQL server)

please advise how install this. correct me If i am wrong

1) install windows 2008 r2

2) install netbackup server 7.5.0.5

3) install SAN media server in file server or SQL server?

Marianne

Your Windows 2008 server cannot be a Fiber Transport Media Server.

As per my previous post (and SAN Client manual), only Solaris SPARC and Linux media server are supported.

Seem you need to choose between SAN Client and SAN media server. Have you read the TN in my previous post?

If you choose SAN Media server, you can install NBU server software on the file server and SQL server.
Firstly, add these machines as Servers in Master server Host Properties.
Choose Media Server installation (for detailed instructions, see NBU Installlation Guide), ensure backup devices (tape and/or disk) are seen at OS level, then run Device Config Wizard which will add devices to NBU config and add Storage Units for each of the SAN Media Servers.

Create backup policies for these servers and choose their own STUs as backup destination.

manjula_srilank
Level 4
Certified

Thanks Marianne

I will do it in a lab envirment before implimet in customer envirment and let u know the status