cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAN MEDIA SERVER Configration On 4LPAR aix mechine

KISHORE_SADI_GE
Level 3
hi all,

Can you pls suggest, how to configure SAN Media server on AIX 5.3 ( 4 LAPR).

We have a master with windows 2003, 10 san media servers ( windows) witha Tape library MSL 6060.
With four LTO 3 drives.

Now we got a request to install the san media server for exiting setup.

Appreciate a quick response on the same.
6 REPLIES 6

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
You mean SAN media server has a Disk Backup Storage? if yes which version of netbackup you are using I know 6.5 has a very good option named Storage Lifecycle Policy, any other you can try with DSSU, also is your SAN planned to be a VTL or something?

Please let us know.
regards

KISHORE_SADI_GE
Level 3
Thanks for the Reply.

Here we are configuring the SAN Media server to a seprate tape library with 2 two drives. this library is dedicated to this SAN media server.

Configration details : - 4LPAR ( On AIX) - Four diffrent application are running.

We want to make the these four LPAR's as SAN media servers, Also these four Lpar must share the 2 dedicated drives which is connected to SAN media server.

netbackup version here we are using is 5.1 MP4 with Windows 2003 As a master server.

Here we do not have disk Backups.

Main aim is configure the 4 LPAR as a SAN media servers with a dedicated Tape library with two drives.

Can you please tell me is this will work ? Also please refer me some documents.

Appreciate a quick response !!

Srikanth_Gubbal
Level 6
Certified
Hi,

were you able to configure the SAN media server on AIX

regards,
Srikanth.

Jim-m
Level 5
Why four SAN media servers on the same LPAR chassis? 

One solution is a single media server one the chassis and have the rest funnel the backup traffic through an internal VLAN.   All the network traffic between the LPARS is via memor to memory i.e. nothing leaves the chassis.  

Srikanth_Gubbal
Level 6
Certified
hi,

can you explain it in detail..

regards,
Srikanth.

Jim-m
Level 5
Another way of thinking about is:
Set up a private backup network for all the LPARS on the chassis. Make one of the LPAR a media server or create a new one the is exclusivley a media server.  All the IP traffic to the LPAR media server  never leaves the chassis and shoukd be very fast.

I no longer have access to the this configuration - so I can't give you  the details.  Anybody that has done a lot of LPAR & network configuration of this hardware should  be able to help