cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAN Media Server

ldias
Level 4

It was installed a Netbackup Server on a server running RHEL 5.6, using Enteprise Cliente License. We aim to make backup of this server through optical fiber (directly), without passing through other media server. I'm in doubt how to configure this media server and how to configure the master server. I mean what must be set on master server so it will see this new media server. Also i would like to know the difference between SAN media server and SAN client.

In the above scenario I guess my server will be a SAN media server, right ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Ensure that 'On demand only' is selected in the STU properties.

This is a requirement for SAN Media servers as they can only backup themselves.

If this server is sharing tape drives with other media servers, ensure that you add the Library Based Tape Drives license key as well as SSO (Shared Storage Option).
Use the same license keys as the ones on other media servers.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

If you run a media server install on a server, to make this seen by the master all you should need to do is :

1.  Make sure the master server is the 1st SERVER entry in /usr/openv/netbackup/bp.conf and that that the correct EMM server is listed in the bp.conf file also (probably the master).

If you follow and answer the install questions correctly, this will be done for you.

2.  Make sure the media server is listed in he bp.conf og the master sever as a SERVER entry or MEDIA_SERVER entry, but make sure it is NOT on the first line.

Next, make sure the master can fully resolve the name of the media (forwards and backwards) and also that the media can resolve the master.

Finally, restartin the media server services should be enough for it to be automativcally detected and added into the EMM database.

A san cllient, is a client that sends it's data to a media server as usual, but over fibre, not lan.

Martin

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
First, you have to add your new server into server list. This can be done from master server host properties > Servers. Add it into 'additional servers', then restart new media server. If you installed server software with Enterprise Client license key, this host will be SAN media server.

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
San media server or FT media is a normal media server with tape drives or disk attached to perform normal backup the feature is that it have at least 1hba in target mode that it is zoned with san clients wo will run their backups to this ft media server across the SAN or FC network, for this san client the ft media server still is a midleman between the storage (tape or disk) and the client, only difference is how the data travels from the client to the media server and is across the SAN instead of Tcp/ip. One more thing a FT media server or san media cannot be a SAN client and a SAN client cannot be a FT media.

ldias
Level 4

I'm planning for the next 1/2 years to have about 10 clients making backups over the SAN (directly).

If I'm not mistaken when using SAN Media Server I must have a storage unit, policie for every SAN media server. The maintenance of it can become a bit dirty, isn't ?

I'm in doubt if using san client would make maintenance easier. But in this case I would need to have a specialized Media Server FT just for 10 clients.

Tell me more about your experience, the ins and the outs of choosing SAN Media Server vs Media FT + San Clients.

One last question about licensing. SAN Media Server and SAN Client use the same license ? (Enterprise Client)

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

We can start with the SAN Client Guide: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC3658

About your question of the STU's, if you use a FT Media you will use the same STU's you create for any Tape Drives or Disk you may have the only difference is that you will enable the SAN Client option on the client side and only if the comunication between SAN Client and FT Media Server across the SAN is healthy the backup will go through the SAN if for any reason the SAN client cannot see the FT Media Server through the SAN zoning the client will deliver the data through the TCP/IP network to the same FT Media Server but with this it will be just a regular backup.

The only special things about this is the SAN configuration\

FT Media Server:

1. You need at least 1 HBA and must be a Qlogic QLA24XX (there other few models that you can use but this is key to make this work)

2. You need to configure the Qlogic HBA with the Symantec Customized Drivers meaning you will unistall the Qlogic drivers and install the Symantec ones

3. Once the HBA Symantec Drivers are loaded you need to configure the HBA in to Target Mode so your SAN Clients can be zone to this special and dedicated HBA (This HBA haves nothing to do with the Tape Drives or Disk ones, must be a dedicated HBA for FT traffic)

4. Once Zoning is done check the NB FT Services are up mainly are 2: NBFTSVR and NBFDRV64, first one controls the configuration and second one HBA and PIPES

SAN Client:

1. You need at least 1 HBA (Any make and model) in initiator mode

2. You need to create the zones between SAN Client HBA and FT Media Server HBA

3. You will need to configure the SAN Client driver this changes based on the OS but you will find this in the Guide is quite simple but keep in mind that the idea is to trick the OS and make it think it haves its own tape drives (PIPES) but really are channels or pipes to the FT Media Server.

4. Once zoning is done you need to enable the SAN Client with bpclntcmd -sanclient 1, this will tell to the client that it will first try to run an SAN backup and if fails can use regular TCP/IP, this also can be change to instead of using the IP network to just fail.

5. Confirm the SAN Client service is up and running.

Once this setup is done you can run a couple of commands from the FT Media Server to confirm you can see the client:

nbftconfig -listactive [-C <client name> -verbose]

nbftconfig -listtargets

nbftconfig -[lc]listclients -C <client name> [-verbose]

nbftconfig -listclients -Me <FT Media>

nbftconfig -rescanclient <client name>

nbftconfig -getconfig

This is only a quick look is a lot of work to do and highly recommend you to read the guide follow every single step.

And one final thing be sure your SAN team creates Alieases for each Media Server HBA other way if an HBA fails and needs to be replace you will need to rezone to every single client and is a pain.

ldias
Level 4

I tried to install the san media server.

I followed these steps described by @mph999.

1.  Make sure the master server is the 1st SERVER entry in /usr/openv/netbackup/bp.conf and that that the correct EMM server is listed in the bp.conf file also (probably the master).

If you follow and answer the install questions correctly, this will be done for you.

2.  Make sure the media server is listed in he bp.conf og the master sever as a SERVER entry or MEDIA_SERVER entry, but make sure it is NOT on the first line.

Next, make sure the master can fully resolve the name of the media (forwards and backwards) and also that the media can resolve the master.

Finally, restartin the media server services should be enough for it to be automativcally detected and added into the EMM database.

After that I opened the wizard of master console on which I followed the procedure of including the storage unit associated to the new san media server. At the final screen I got a license error (remote client support).

But if i'm not mistaken, san media server doesn't need remote client support because it will make just backup of itself (I read a tech paper somewhere on symantec forum). Any suggestions ?

What is the correct procedure to include san media server storage unit on console ?

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Ensure that 'On demand only' is selected in the STU properties.

This is a requirement for SAN Media servers as they can only backup themselves.

If this server is sharing tape drives with other media servers, ensure that you add the Library Based Tape Drives license key as well as SSO (Shared Storage Option).
Use the same license keys as the ones on other media servers.

ldias
Level 4

Selecting 'On demand only' solved the installation problem i had. I checked both license and they're ok.

Just a silly question. Someone told me i have to set this option even on a san media server:

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpclntcmd -sanclient 1

I thought a bit strange because it's not a san client. Could answer please ?

The other problem now happens when i start the backup manually. It says no media is available, but i have active media on my defined media pool. Suggestions ?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

does it have its own library /drives or is it shared?

If shared does its storage unit type match that of the tapes (HCART / HCART2 etc.)

Just thinking that you may have a density mismatch

ldias
Level 4

Yes the library is shared with other traditional media servers and yes you're right about density mismatch.

I'm making some tests now and it's working. I just changed the retention period of my policie to match the retention  period of the pool test i'm using.

I didn't know netbackup group backup on media by retention period. That's why I had active media but they weren't being used.

I have a robot which has lto-5 tapes. For standard clients the backup speed varies between 25.000 and 40.000 kb/s. For this san media server i'm getting 125.000 kb/s. I don't have a baseline to compare. Can you tell if its too slow for a san backup ?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

125MB/s is not too bad

Remember as it is a media server to create the \netbackup\db\config directory and add the SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS (with 262144 inside) and NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS (32 or 64)

If a tape has been used by another media server already then if that media sever does not use the 256kb buffer size then the tapes will stay as they are and will need a bplable from the command line to get it to use the new buffer size

In a shared environment they should all match.

NBU does not group by retention period but does not, by default, put different retentions on the same tape